LegacyGT.com

First oil change, break-in period, and fuel grade

Hello Everyone,

1). I bought a 2013 Legacy 2.5 premium. The dealer told me the 1st oil change would be at 3k miles. Isn't it supposed to be at 1k ? And synthetic oil 0W-20 is recommended in the manual. After 1st oil change, every 5k miles.

2). Also, when does the break-in period end ? I was told at 1500 miles.

3). Fuel: Does it make a difference if I use 87 or 89 or 91 or 93 ?

Regards,

I think this could all be answered if you read through the owners manual, except the fuel type question. I would say 91 is best but I dont know if it matters with these newer engines.

A 3k oil change is fine, changing it at 1k would be a waste of money in my opinion.

From what I've read in the past, the initial break-in period for an engine actually happens fairly quickly. I've read that most of the break-in process happens within the first 50 miles or so, after that the engine is still breaking in, but to a lesser extent. See the attached image from the 2013 Legacy owners manual for subaru's take. Based off used oil analyses, an engine isn't 100% broken in until at least 20k, that's when you start seeing a drop off in elevated wear metals.

I would run 87 octane fuel, as specified by the owners manual.

breakin2013.jpg.c31cfcfa2f005cc647f47f26c4072398.jpg

The 14 fxt says first oil change at 7500! I think I'm going to change it at 3000. Gas, try a few different grades and see what your car runs best on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I've always followed the severe recommendations, which used to be every 3k after a 1k or so break in period. Synthetic, I feel comfortable running a bit longer.

7500 seems like a long time for a turbo engine. I don't run past 5k with my 2.5i

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

A friend of mine purchased a 2013 Toyota Corolla. First oil change is at 10,000 according to dealer.

Yea not too uncommon anymore, as mentioned before, engine oil has changed alot. I think some VW's also specify 10,000.

Archived