LegacyGT.com

Louder Noise Driving

My wife hit a pothole at 80 mph with our 05 LGT(86k) which bubbled and split the sidewall of front Nokian WR G2(held air) and dropped the rear pressure to about 15psi. I pumped them up and noticed more tire like noise than usual.

We replaced the set with 4 brand new Conti Extreme DWS and still that tire like noise. It reminds a bit of a loud or poorly worn winter tire. I have heard the Conti's Extreme DWS are quiet.

I see many mentions of failing wheel bearings but not real distinct description of what they sound like.

Any ideas on this?

• Moderators

does the noise increase with vehicle speed, engine speed, or does speed not have any effect? I had a honda one time that I had a similar experience with, but unfortunately I never figured out what was causing it before I got rid of it. It started happening right after a had a new set of tires put on, and I figured that maybe one of the grease monkeys dropped one of my rims and bent it slightly...

I had no vibration issues and drove the car with the noise for about 15k miles before I sold it...

I'm interested to see what people have to say about this one.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

a worn wheel bearing typically starts out as a low hum (similar to tire noise) and increases the longer you run it.

subaru had recalls for our wheel bearings... i believe the fronts were up to 50k? and the rears to 100k. may be worth looking into. i had my rear driver's side rear bearing replaced at 98K 2 months ago.

Is the wheel damaged or out of alignment?

I am getting an alignment done at a decent local shop to be proactive and never performed anyway. The car drives in a straight line though.

The noise increases with speed.

Yep, sounds like a wheel bearing. They should still be under warranty, so have the dealer look, but make sure to tell them not to do anything to it without asking you first.

And k2bit, I just had a front replaced and my dealer told me 80k for the warranty on those.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Archived