LegacyGT.com

Brake and Battery light are on... and dead battery...

I was driving my Legacy (mind you, it only has 34,000 miles on it) the other day. And while I was driving it, the ABS light, Brake light, Battery Light, Airbag light all came on. It gave me a ER IU and ER SP error on dash. I pull over to the gas station, shut off the car and go to restart the car but it won't go out of park... I manually put the car in neutral before I start it, to start it up and drive away. I get home; I then check all the fuses and let it sit. I then go to start it, it works, with no problems. I then drive it, but the speedometer is not working and ABS and battery light are on. I take it home then notice a headlight is burned out ( I don't know if this is related). Today, I go to drive the car and the battery light and brake light are on. The car finally dies on the side of the road while I'm driving it. I just got home and had the car towed back here... Any indications to what this could be? The battery is completely dead now... Would this be symtoms of a bad alternator or battery? and what are the chances of SOA fixing it for free? It has 34,000 miles but its over the three years.

Alternator. Usually when the parking brake and battery light come on it is an alternator issue.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I just got an alternator from a junkyard for $55 with a 69year warranty! lol... I put it in and no problems! It took 15 seconds of turning the motor over to start, and was kinda rough at first. But I think thats from sitting. The ABS light was on also, but as soon as I started driving, it went away.

I called the dealership three times since last Thursday and they never had the service manager call me back, like they said they would. Everytime it was, "he's in a meeting" or "out on a family emergency"... I'm really disapointed in the dealership for being cowards on this and not being straight up with me. Instead they told me whatever to get me off the phone... I don't appreciate being lied to.

I really love this car (when it's running good), but I really have a bad taste in my mouth from the dealership. This was my first time buying a used vehicle, and I must admit I have learned a lot. And frankly, I don't think will buy a used vehicle again. You just don't know the past of a car... This is off topic, but when they gave me the car fax, it reported no crashes ever or any tampering. But when I got the car home, it clearly was in a crash before. I remember asking if the car has ever had any accidents, and the salesman said never... Now the brakes are starting to grind... this normal for a car with "34,000" miles! lol...

I really love this car (when it's running good), but I really have a bad taste in my mouth from the dealership. This was my first time buying a used vehicle, and I must admit I have learned a lot. And frankly, I don't think will buy a used vehicle again. You just don't know the past of a car... This is off topic, but when they gave me the car fax, it reported no crashes ever or any tampering. But when I got the car home, it clearly was in a crash before. I remember asking if the car has ever had any accidents, and the salesman said never... Now the brakes are starting to grind... this normal for a car with "34,000" miles! lol...

Good choice going for the junkyard one. Rebuilt alternators are garbage.

If the car was driven hard, the brake wear doesn't surprise me. I agree, buying a used vehicle from a dealer is a crapshoot. Most of the time they get these cars at auctions and have absolutely no knowledge of the car's past. If the vehicle was repaired without filing insurance or police report, it never would have made it on a carfax.

Yeah, the car I got the alternator off of only had 18,000 miles and was crashed in the rear.

The funny thing is, I bought the car from Subaru of Troy. It was fresh off a lease and apparently the person who leased it was "a older school teacher" and a "very good person" blah blah blah... lol... But yeah, clearly this guy had the car fixed without it ever being reported to the insurance company... I noticed the rear driver side had a slightly different paint color and was rough, and a chip in the rear passenger window. The trunk also appears to be repainted and all the trim has overspray! Ohh well... You live and learn... It will just have to be a Legacy GT from the other Subbie dealership next time, I also won't reconmend that place to my friends! lol

Now that I think of it, I specifially remember the salesman telling me how the car had a "150 point inspection, with all maintenance up to date and if the brakes were less then 50% we replaced them!" I doubt I wore out the brakes 50% in 2000 miles... Makes me wonder if the ever performed the 30,000 mile maintenance like they said. Watch I have engine failure and SOA voids my 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty due to not having proof of that maintenance. I was supposed to get proof of that maintenance, but never received it. I have emailed them, and called them about this issue, and still ignored! It really heats me up!!! It's just something so simple, you know. I don't like being lied to!

How do I make a complaint to Subaru? I looked around on the Subaru website but didn't find any contact info.

Also, another thing thats heats me up... I was looking around the engine, and notice the air intake tube (coming from the airfilter) was just bearly hooked up to the silencer box... So I been sucking up non filtered air this whole time!!!! ERRRR!!!! 150 point inspection! I doubt it!!!

You should ask for proof of service, or say you are concerned the car was never inspected and show your findings. See what they have to say. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Also, it also helps to have another garage not selling the car so they aren't biased look the car over, even if they charge a nominal fee. And, if the dealer won't agree, walk right out.

We all learn by experience, unfortunately. Next time you'll know.

You should ask for proof of service, or say you are concerned the car was never inspected and show your findings. See what they have to say. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I have... They won't return my calls... And I'm ALWAYS polite on the phone, maybe thats the problem...

• 5 months later...
i got my battery light and parking brake light at the same time once in a while, replaced the alternator : nil fix. Replaced the battery : nil fix. Now i am trying to play with the tension on the belt (little less,little more) and i ll see what s the results, after that i got no more ideas...

I'm guessing its a computer issue... depending on the age of your car, the dealer might fix it for free. Atleat get it into the dealer and have it diagonosed. I mean, with the money you already spent, you may have had it fixed already at the dealership...

the alternator did need to be replaced, the inside was all burnt, so it was not an unessacery cost (125$),maybe it created the problem when it was dying.Maybe i could have kept my battery for another year(but at least wy wofe feels 'safer' to have a new battery (100$), i ll try to inspect the car tomorrow, hope you complained to Subaru America for your problems

the alternator did need to be replaced, the inside was all burnt, so it was not an unessacery cost (125$),maybe it created the problem when it was dying.Maybe i could have kept my battery for another year(but at least wy wofe feels 'safer' to have a new battery (100$), i ll try to inspect the car tomorrow, hope you complained to Subaru America for your problems

My alternator burned out after 34k and Subaru refused to fix it. And even ignored me and never returned my calls... really heated me up, considering i had the car for 1.5 months and was promissed the world when i bought the car. Ohh well, I don't slam SOA for it, I blame the dealership (subaru of Troy, in Michigan) for this issue. If I buy another Subaru, it won't be from them. And I will be DAMN sure to pass off my experiences with them!

In the end, I got a alternator for $45 with a warranty from a junkyard... Was cheaper then the "$100 Diagnosis fee"...

glad you had a cheap alternator, i would still make a report to SOA, more they receive,better the service will be. If nobody complains : probably they will keep doing bad buisiness...

Your right, I should have... I went to subaru.com and looked for the information to make a complaint, but I couldn't find any info to do it. Then I gave up... I was fustrated enough, and without a car for a week and just forgot about it. But yes, my opinion is is skewed after this. But what can you do? I mean, you should be able to voice your opinion/problems to a dealership and have them resolve them. And if they choose to ingore it, then shame on them. I will simply go to another dealer next time. I fixed the problem myself by spending 45 dollars and I'm off on my own way. I remember them telling me "ohh man, it's not just your alternator... You have serious issues with your electronics blah blah blah, and your not covered"... I was sure left hanging when I asked for the Manger to call me back regarding this.

Next time bring your car to Dwyer & Sons Subaru. So far I don't have any bad experience with them.

Thanks... the one i went to was the clossest to me. I know the other one was in Ferndale, that was about 55mins... I should have went there.

I'm new to the forums, and I think I'm in the minority in that I don't know much about cars. I have a 2005 LGT MT, with 75,000 miles. No mods. Charge (battery) light came on along with the parking brake light on my way home from work Tues. Took it in for an oil change yesterday and the guy at Speedy tested the alternator & battery - said the alternator was only charging at 11.5-12 volts instead of 14.5 - and that basically I need to replace it. He couldn't get ahold of the garage they use to rebuild the alternators, so I just went home and am trying to figure out my options now. Luckily, the guy didn't charge me for the diagnostic.

I'm pretty pissed that I need a new alt. at 75K miles, I bought this car so I wouldn't have to spend money on repairs this soon. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

The Speedy guy told me a new alternator with labor could be $700, maybe half that if his guy rebuilds it.... with my limited knowledge of car mechanics, isn't this just a tad bit high? Can anyone recommend a better option for me? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

wow, flee from that place !! like i wrote, a got a rebuilt for 125$, hurricane got one from junkyard for 45$, the alternator on a subaru is one of the easiest to do ( on older models at least, i dont know about your year) it is a 10 minutes job for somebody that knows how to use a wrench.The reason if they charge you so much might be because they would put a brand new oem (doesnt worth it in my opinion)

If you don't want to turn wrenches yourself, you can contact the member here on the forums who is doing installs in his garage... I imagine that will be cheaper than a shop, and you can bring your own parts for less money than the shop will charge you.

But, i did not find the right reason why both light would come up, cause i did replace the alternator and my battery and topped up the oil brake , all those did not solved the problem : battery and brake light comes on but not all the time... So before you change your alternator, try to get the real cause. Or get a guarrantee that if they change the alternator it will fix the problem,if not ,they should refund you... and find the proper fix. I know it s not much help, i did not find the reason that cause that yet ! my car still runs good anyway and didnt have problems to start ect.

if you find let us know !

Archived