LegacyGT.com

Need a Tune, which path to take?

LGTwagon99

Hello all, I have a few questions regarding the differences in tunes. I am interested more so in an Infamous tune, and I would like to know the difference between getting an "open source" tune and a tune for the AP.

To my understanding, an open source tune is Infamous making a map for my car and loading it using a free software, which can be used to flash the ECU and load the new maps.

An AccessPort tune would be me buying the AP, then having them make a map for me that I will load onto it, then install on the car.

Could somebody help me out? I bought a new shortblock for my car, and it happens to be an EJ257, which has a compression ratio of 8.5:1. My stock heads and motor (I am using the stock heads) have a compression ratio of 8.2:1. I was planning on getting a AP, but now that there will need to be additional tuning for the difference in compression, I am second guessing that as being the best choice and leaning more towards a custom infamous tune. (I would imagine that it will need additional tuning?)

Anyone with any words of advice/experience please chime in! My car is down until I get this resolved. Shortblock will be in Tuesday, and I would like to get this all sorted out!

Feel free to insult me for my lack of knowledge/facts. I need help! Thanks!

Everything you posted is correct, from what I can tell. Good on you for doing research before posting.

For the Cobb tune, you're going to pay for AP hardware up front. With the opensource tune, since you have a non-CANBUS 2005, you can get a vag-com cable for like $20 (I think) and then do your tuning through Infamous or another vendor for much less than you'll spend for the Cobb tune. Some would argue that you get a better tune since it's not off-the-shelf.

I've done two tunes through Infamous. It's worth the money. I've never gone the Cobb route.

The free software you mention for uploading maps is ECU Flash. You'll also need ROM Raider for taking logs and Learning View for reading fuel trims & error codes. All are downloadable for free. Good luck.

Tits mcgee

Here is a decent write up explaining the tools, software and differences between the opensource tune and AP. Scroll down to the frequently asked questions section.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/introducing-stage-1-2-and-3-e-tuning-remote-tuning-191961.html

Hope that helps.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I am currently working with infamous on a e tune for my car. I have an accessport version 3, basically he makes me a custom map for my car, sends it to me I load it on the AP then flash it to the car. Then I do a few pulls and log them, send him back the map and logs and he fine tunes them. Send them back again and he verifies the logs and if they still need tweaking, tweaks again.

I went with the AP over open source because it allows me to easily swap maps with out my laptop, and I can view live data on the AP rather then having my laptop.

Only down side it I paid $550 for the version 3 AP(good buddy owns a shop so I got a deal on the AP) if you do open source you only buy the cheap cable and pay for the tune.

Archived