LegacyGT.com

What to look for in 05 LGT

yar1

Did you already drive it or are you making the final purchase and getting the paperwork done?.... Obviously the car has been modified since it has the front mount intercooler and piping with the atmospheric BOV and exhaust. So... if you are ok with that than you should be good in that department. I don't know about the California inspection/emissions process but it may cause issues for you if you try to get it inspected. Looking at the carfax report (http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=4S3BL676056218229&partner=HMN_0) it failed an emissions inspection probably from the new intercooler.... Simple checks you can do is to check the front differential oil, the dipstick is around the area of the turbo outlet. if you have none that could give hints to some problems (I went to go see a 2004 wrx that had no gear oil in it...). If the fluid is black it probably has never been changed. Check that you have oil in the car. Look for leaks under the car. Check the power steering fluid, it should be pinkish in color. Check the belts for wear... if you can get a few min alone with the car remove the timing belt cover on the right side by removing the 4 10mm bolts check that its tight and that its not wearing too badly. Check that you have coolant. Make sure everything electronic works: seat heaters, ac and heater for both sides, all lights, signals, radio, speakers, sun roof, windows. Make sure you are getting a jack and a spare tire. Try to figure out if there is an aftermarket ecu in it/ an engine tune. Listen for bad sounds and feelings when you drive it: grinding, clanking, etc. Make sure the clutch engages smoothly and that the brakes work looking at the pictures, the rear brakes look like they are almost done, the fronts look sketchy. Check the emergency brake if it pulls high.... someone was using it a lot.

Front bumper is a different shade of white than the rest of the car and the head lights have been cleared.

Look at the rims and tires for uneven wear and curb damage. The tires look like the originals.

If you buy the car I would plan on doing the 60000 mile service which would include draining all fluids (oil, gear oil, diff oil, antifreeze) changing the spark plugs, flush the brake fluid, flush clutch fluid.

Hopefully it works out for you!

Thank you for the reply, i have not signed anything with them yet, i was going to look at it tommorrow and was planning on buying it. i saw the intake piping but i didnt know that meant it had a BOV, or it had failed emissions, thank you for that one. and thank you for your quick reply.

I remember hearing mixed reviews about Stage II cars passing California State emissions so that may be a flag right there if you plan on this car being a daily driver.

I do recall some law that requires a dealer to sell you a car that will pass emissions, I don't want to say more without having the full story so I'll see if I can find it, but I don't think it would pass emissions as is.

...damn you California...

Make sure it still got the undercover. A big plastic plate located underneath the front of car. Not a big deal, but good to have to protect the oil filter and etc.

Not a big deal? What are you talking about!?!? Without your plastic underskirt your tmic cannot function well because of airflow.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived