LegacyGT.com

06 Factory Shock Alarm - Never worked

I noticed this immediately after I bought the car, Dec '05. I would come back to the car after a long time (30 min+), shake it via the roof rails, and nothing would happen....I went through the factory manual on setting up the security system, with no results.

I spend alot of time at parking lots, and having this might help me protect some expensive ski gear.

I took it to the dealer when I had my wheel bearing go bad (5kmiles), and he told me one of the door sensors had failed, and they fixed it. I tried it again, after skiing a full day away from the car, and it still did not alarm. I questioned the service rep at the dealer, and he belives that the alarm will only sound at the frequency of broken glass.

Again I went through the 'procedure' in the manual, no results.

I'm calling bull shit, the instuctions say that contruction sites or wind can set it off.....I've never, not once, had it go off.

I'm not saying it would helped, but the final straw was last week when I found that someoned had traded paint with my front bumper.

Any one else have this trouble? Is the dealer right, this is more an audio sensor than shock?!? Are there any ways you have tested your security system?

wonder if it's as simple as a rheostat or something on the unit itself (going out side to see)

edit: You've tested yours by shaking the car?

Don't quote me, but I'm almost positive that the sensativity is adjusted through the OBDII port with the SSM computer.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Cool, I'll have them try that.

When I took it to them last, I told them the instructions I read said it had to be enabled in the computer after install, and that maybe the factory didn't do that.

Even the subaru manual says it's not enabled by default....

They acted like I was speaking a different language.

no, its from 1-5. the car comes set to 5-least sensitive from the factory so its almost impossible to set off. Ive had mine set to 1 and i never had it go off falsly, but if i slam the hood hard it will go off, so i know its working. and yes, it is adjusted through the obdII using the SSM2 or ssm3.

I noticed this immediately after I bought the car, Dec '05. I would come back to the car after a long time (30 min+), shake it via the roof rails, and nothing would happen....I went through the factory manual on setting up the security system, with no results.

I spend alot of time at parking lots, and having this might help me protect some expensive ski gear.

I took it to the dealer when I had my wheel bearing go bad (5kmiles), and he told me one of the door sensors had failed, and they fixed it. I tried it again, after skiing a full day away from the car, and it still did not alarm. I questioned the service rep at the dealer, and he belives that the alarm will only sound at the frequency of broken glass.

Again I went through the 'procedure' in the manual, no results.

I'm calling bull shit, the instuctions say that contruction sites or wind can set it off.....I've never, not once, had it go off.

I'm not saying it would helped, but the final straw was last week when I found that someoned had traded paint with my front bumper.

Any one else have this trouble? Is the dealer right, this is more an audio sensor than shock?!? Are there any ways you have tested your security system?

It is a shock sensor. I think they probably all come disarmed. If not, they could be set off during the delivery process. Could be a real bother. My dealer activated mine. There is a sensitivity range, I think mine is set at around 4 or 5 out of ten. If you arm the alarm and drop the hood from about 4 inches, it will go off. If you take your fist and give a firm rap to the steering wheel (leave window down of course) it will go off. I don't know if there would have been enough of a shock from someone trading paint with your bumper to trip it. Watch, if it is set too sensitive vibrations such as a parking garage floor could trip it. I think the shock sensor is more for setting the alarm off for glass breakage etc. not the parking lot love taps but it does work.

It is a shock sensor. I think they probably all come disarmed. If not, they could be set off during the delivery process. Could be a real bother. My dealer activated mine. There is a sensitivity range, I think mine is set at around 4 or 5 out of ten. If you arm the alarm and drop the hood from about 4 inches, it will go off. If you take your fist and give a firm rap to the steering wheel (leave window down of course) it will go off. I don't know if there would have been enough of a shock from someone trading paint with your bumper to trip it. Watch, if it is set too sensitive vibrations such as a parking garage floor could trip it. I think the shock sensor is more for setting the alarm off for glass breakage etc. not the parking lot love taps but it does work.

True..i've did the test, locking the car with remote and dropped the hood..it does go off... but doesn't go off if i locked the car and shake the car hard... so my guess is if someone gonna be picking the lock on our car it won't go off?

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Interesting. I'm mainly concerned about people getting in my roof box and the cab.

Get an after market alarm. The subie system only senses shocks, like glass breaking. It will not detect someone trying to get into the roof box. For that matter it won't detect someone trying to steal your wheels(I.E. jack up car,take wheels). My alarm guy tried to add a tilt sensor but was foiled by the factory system. Only solution is to add a new system which ends up with two alarm fobs.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived