LegacyGT.com

A/C compressor clicking like crazy (10x-20x second)

1999 Legacy OB, 2.5, 135,000 miles

My a/c is only blowing kind of cool air when I'm on the highway cruising between 55-70 mph. The moment my rpms decrease (like exiting the freeway) to where I'm just city driving/idle, the a/c is warm. The compressor is engaging at idle, but it clicks like mad. It sounds like I'm riding a bike with a baseball card in the spokes. Here it is:

https://youtu.be/Q0AQw7orNmY

Suspecting I might be low on freon and, because I just bought the car, I decided to go ahead and do complete recharge so I know it's got the right amount of freon. I pulled a vacuum and put in about 20-22 oz of R-134a. Didn't make a difference.

On the manifold gauge set, the low side was reading a constant 65psi when I filled it and it never fluctuated unless I revved the engine and then it would go down to ~50. The high side always seemed to be between 200-300.

What could be the problem? It seems like the high/low side gauges would fluctuate on my other vehicles while the a/c was running. In this case, they are constant. Is that normal? My relays all seem fine. Is my compressor dying?

• 1 month later...
I could be wrong, but a corroded wire to the A/C solenoid could cause this symptom. Basically its higher resistance isn't quite enough to engage the compressor at idle, but when the engine is revving and the alternator putting out voltage, its just enough to keep it engaged properly. It actually cycles every minute or so.

• 2 months later...
I know it's a bit late, but my buddy had the exact same symptom on his Nissan Frontier. The shop he took it to tried to replace the compressor, dryer, etc... He declined and found out it was the thermistor. It reads the inside temperature and tells the compressor when to engage. Fixed the problem. Anyway, hope this was helpful.

Archived