LegacyGT.com

De-fogger/froster mists across exterior windshield

Recently bought a 'new' 2009 3.0R w/ 8500 miles from a dealership. It was due for 1st oil change on my watch, so brought it to the dealer. A couple of my concerns are apparently just "traits" (the two hits needed to close sunroof, and the delay in throttle kick down in auto mode). Another concern is that when using the de-fogger/froster, the entire lower portion of the outside of the windshield fogs over, higher in the center. Sometimes it creeps so high that I use the wipers to clear.

The service manager said that this too is normal. Somehow I doubt this - can anyone confirm?

The cold air blowing on the windshield will produce fog on the outside of it if it is humid out. Happens with all cars.

The moisture condenses on the cold, air conditioned windshield. :( Just simple science at work here.

Put the climate on "Auto" after the windshield is thoroughly defogged and you should see this problem less. Once the fog on the inside of the windshield is clear, the Auto setting will keep the cabin dehumidified through the floor or face vents without blowing cold air on the windshield, thus causing your problem.

Thanks for your input, though not helpful. I've owned dozens of other cars, am well aware what cooling air & moisture will do, etc. I am asking SPECIFICALLY if other 4th gen Legacy owners experience this, to the degree that I describe, as compared to other car experiences. This Legacy does this more than any other car I've owned, which makes it seem not right.

FWIW my Legacy does not have an "auto" climate mode - one selects what one wants, etc.

Oh, well in that case, yes. This does happen on my Legacy.

I didn't realize you were a non-limited that had manual climate, woops! If you've got a manual climate model, I can understand why it would be on the defrost setting more often than not.

Once your windshield is defrosted, revert back to floor mode for heat, thats all I can recommend. The longer you keep it up there, the colder the windshield will get.

I have a 2008 3.0R Limited...

1. Two hits on sunroof close button is 'normal'. I'll have to read up as to why in the owner's manual - I am sure there is a purpose.

2. Delay in throttle. That is normal if in Intelligent mode; the car is trying to conserve fuel. That is abnormal if in Sport or Sport Sharp mode; the throttle response in my car is crisp, immediate and linear. If I floor it in Sport or S#, she responds...

3. Fog on windshield. I'm not sure, I tend to keep mine in Auto. You can always hit the front defrost button and it will take care of that for you.

I read somewhere that the double hit to close sunroof is a "safety" feature..so it wouldn't entirely close on junior's head sticking through the roof.

As for throttle response -- I keep mine in "S" mode, as gas pedal response feels most normal in it. When, in "auto" shift mode, say at 50mph, you step on it, it takes about a full second before anything happens. Seems like a programming issue to me, but again, service mgr. said this is normal, though no other car I've owned has this time gap.

There is only a manual climate control in the regular "R"s such as I have. With any humidity it will fog on the exterior across the width of the windshield. Never experienced this to anywhere this degree on any other car, although our 2nd gen Legacy had a weaker defroster/heater/AC overall.

Archived