LegacyGT.com

losing/ burning oil?

By less than half way full are you saying that you are over 2qts low? Just because the dipstick is at the halfway point does not mean that the car is half full of oil. These motors are notorious for burning oil. Add some and you will be good. Make sure you check it at the same spot under the same conditions each time.
[

By less than half way full are you saying that you are over 2qts low? Just because the dipstick is at the halfway point does not mean that the car is half full of oil. These motors are notorious for burning oil. Add some and you will be good. Make sure you check it at the same spot under the same conditions each time.

a little bit more than 2 quarts, but yea i jus put sum purple in it so it should be good, i was jus like damn that was really quick to be that low

You better check it every few day's until you know what's going on.

My 05 at 142,000 miles uses oil it runs good but I top it off every few day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^^^^^^^^^

Agree with that. You don't want to run below the L, much less anywhere near dry.

If it just happens once, the dipsticks on these cars are kind of weird and seem to read a bit different. (edit: If you went through 2 qts, this isn't it)

Check for external leaks, otherwise:

Really if it is less than like a qt every 2000 miles (over the course of say 5,000mi), I wouldn't worry about, it just keep on top of it. Probably blowby.

If it is more than that, rings or turbo is the most likely culprit.

I drove like 30k mi on 2 blown ringlands without a CEL or running issues. Just put in 2qts every 1000mi or so.

If you still have a powertrain warranty though, get that shit leakdowned before the warranty expires regardless of use.

These things are hard to get a correct oil level reading. I pull the dip stick about 2" close the hood and walk away for a while, at least 15 minutes and up to 8 hours at work. Then wipe the stick and check the oil.

My 09 Spec B hasn't given me a flat oil level reading in weeks, the oil on the stick is in a V shape. Stupid Subaru...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I am considering getting the GT model.

Is it normal for the GT models to be burning oil? Because I am currently running my 3.0r and I have never see the need to check my oil level. I do occasionally check my oil level when I am doing a road trip. If I do my regular oil changes at 3,000 miles, will this problem still occur?

It is a factor of the 2.5 engine design and the blow by that occurs due to turbo motors. Every turbo car that I have owned has this same issue. The Subaru might be more pronounced but they all do it.

That stinks. That means I have to keep oil in my trunk? :lol:

LOL, it should be done for most all cars......but yes, I check it when I put a tank of gas in. My motor does not use a drop of oil though so I am pretty lucky. It is a 06 WRX engine with right around 45k on it.
[

Ditto here ( as linked above). Dealer is running consumption test as per subaru. My motor has 44k (car has 48k), car was part of the bad batch of motors in 09 and was replaced at 4,700 miles. We'll see the results in 2,000 miles more.

Archived