LegacyGT.com

Ebay Exhaust Review - Thumbs Down

dub strong

DANGER – Stay away from Ebay Exhausts

CLIFF NOTES:

Overall impression: For $320 shipped, I don’t give a **** about the various dings, creases, etc. that will be hidden under the car. However, the one visible piece of this system, the muffler tip, is a bloody mess.

By the ETD Motors (a/k/a CX Racing) own admission: “All of my mufflers contain similar blemishes”

The Verdict: stay away from eBay exhausts and pay the extra $80 bucks for the Xo2 system.

Pics Here: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/pictures;jsessionid=99E2CA3456B83C161E8F701AF61CB2E2?a=67b0de21b35d256ac469&sid=8AYuWbRu2bNnFw

Full Story:

I just picked up the Legacy GT catback exhaust system from ETDmotors (a/k/a CX Racing) on Ebay.

$320 bucks shipped, you can't beat that deal right?!?!? WRONG!

To be fair, shipping and processing were very fast. The system was shipped across the country (CA to CT) and received on the 5th day after placing my order. Super-stoked to see what my $320 had bought me, I opened the box only to be met with disappointment.

After overcoming the initial shiny-part-induced exhilaration, the FIRST things my roommate and I noticed were the obvious defects in one of the exhaust tips. It looks like this muffler/tip had either been used, damaged, and repaired, or fell victim to inexperienced hands somewhere along the machining process. Either way, the defects and dents were extremely apparent, and unacceptable.

In addition, the defective muffler also had a strange discoloration. It appears that this muffler and tip once had the bluish/burnt tip look in another life. It’s clear from the markings on the tip that someone had tried to remove this coloring.

Next part out of the box was the other muffler. This muffler and tip passed our inspection. No qualms.

Next part out of the box was the Y-pipe, a few dings and dents, and obvious defects from a poorly executed mandrel bend process.

Finally the mid-pipe, my first pleasant surprise. It turns out that this system actually has a RESONATOR. This was not advertised in the seller’s description, not was it shown in the pictures. There were a few strange dents and creases in the pipe, but, overall, not a bad piece.

In spite of the resonator, I’m still stuck with a system with gross, visible blemishes.

I’ve spoken with the seller to resolve the issue, and as you can imagine, he was less than helpful. He contends that one should expect some defects when you are purchasing an exhaust at this price, which, admittedly, is true, but blemishes like the ones on the tip of these mufflers is unacceptable.

He fed me the usual BS, “I’m selling this below cost”, “I opened the other systems I have in stock, and all of the mufflers have the same blemishes, therefore I could not provide a replacement muffler”.

When I asked “why don’t you advertise these systems as containing some defects and blemishes?” his response was “I can not please people like you.” Like me huh? People that don’t like dents, discoloration, scratches, dings, and the like visible from the rear of their car. Yea, we’re hard to please.

So anyway, this system will probably end up on my car, since ETD Motors refuses to ship me a new muffler, even at my own cost. Sure, I could send it back for a refund, but lose $160 in shipping in the process.

As I said, I haven’t installed yet, so I’ll keep you all posted on my progress in getting that tip repaired/replaced, and getting the inevitable eBay fitment issues resolved.

-Erik

Oh man... Thanks for posting and sorry to hear about this! I was trying to decide between this and getting the Perrin y & mid. I went the Perrin route but the ebay was so attractive because it was cheap. I hope you get everything fixed. Make sure to give him negative feedback.

That sucks..

but the whole thing costs 320, and it would be 1/2 that price to ship it back??

The item price was appriximately $240, + $80 shipping. I'm assuming shipping it back to the seller would cost me another $60-80. So I would be refunded the $240 purchase price, less the $60-80 it costs to ship it back to him. Total money back in my pocket: $160-180. Total money spent on shipping would be around $140-160. Needless to say I won't be shipping it back.

Obviously, for $320 shipped, you're not expecting a system that's perfectly manufactured. But regardless of price-point, you are expecting a item (especially an item like exhaust that has only a small visible section), to be at least aesthetically acceptable. You would anticipate other cost-cutting maneuvers like thin-walled piping, or less than perfect fitment, but the aesthetics (especially on exhaust tips) are inexcusable.

It's prob cheaper to have new tips put on by your local muffler shop than to ship it back and deal with that POS company.

Thanks for the heads up and keep us updated.

I agree. Just find a nice set of replacement tips, and have them welded on in place of the defective ones. Magnaflow makes great double walled and single walled (cheaper) tips.

And thanks for taking one for the team. I am sure many of us wondered about the EBAY exhaust, but didn't have the balls to risk it.

I put the system on tonight. As it sits right now, the fitment is off (tips off center), but I think it can be corrected with some retightening or the torch.

I do have to say, this thing sounds great. Real deep rumble, but quiet in the cabin and no noticable highway drone (thus far).

Performance wise, the car feels about the same, maybe a little faster. I do notice that the AP was reading higher boost, and the car seemed to be holding peak boost for longer. (approximately .3-.4 psi higher than normal). I need to get some logs to see if this was a fluke.

yeah those tips look fugly -- get new tips installed and you will be fine

I'm in the process of sanding them down and then working them back up to a polish with a dremel. We'll see how that turns out. If that doesn't work, I'll get some new ones welded in.

Ebay can be a great place to find a few new and some used parts. I've never had any issues with anything I've bought there. I just depends on who you buy from. There is a difference in buying generic parts(that nobody would put their name on) and name brand parts. Also, when you buy items using the "cheapest I can get" mentality you get parts that are "cheapest you can get" quality. I wonder if they are factory seconds from xo2 or something. I bought my lug nuts from Ebay; I bought my exhaust from Subaru.
Let's kick this pig!

seriously, why toss ebay shit on any car? you know the quality is that made from teenagers in metal shop

I can't believe I'm actually defending this system now, but I want to play devil's advocate for ebay products:

I just helped my buddy install a $900 Corksport catback on his mazdaspeed6, and after seeing a $900 piece up close and personal, I'm even more satisfied with the ebay system. First, this $900 system had very similar imperfection in the piping to what my $320 ebay system has. Very rarely are you going to see absolutely perfect mandrels, even at a higher price point. Second, the ebay/xo2 system has a resonator, and I have to say, the sound on the ebay system is perfect. 10 out of 10. No droning, maybe even a little too quiet for my tastes. The $900 system has no resonator and is loud as hell. Now you can argue that the ebay system isn't going to make any power and I don't have any evidence to refute that argument. We'll have to wait till someone gets on on the dyno.

In conclusion, I'm growing happier with the ebay system by the day, and I have the extra 500 bucks earning interest in a bank account

quote=qikslvr;1680868] I wonder if they are factory seconds from xo2 or something.

Exactly what I was thinking. If its not factory seconds, its definately a clone.

Look at the evidence: The xo2 vs. ebay systems are visually identical. Xo2 3rd and 4th generation now comes with a resonator, Ebay now comes with a resonator. Xo2 offered burnt exhaust tips, the defective tip off of my ebays system looks like it was a burnt tip at one point and then cleaned up. It really sounds like the ebay kit is factory seconds for Xo2.

If they are factory seconds, and the vendor won't take them back unless you pay shipping, that would make me pretty concerned. I would only buy the system for the mid and Y anyway, and just sell the cans. Problem is, what if the pipes are messed up rather than the cans? And if it WAS the cans, who would really want to buy them off me? Seems like I would risk eating the whole sysytem.

You got the bottom of the barrel of the chinese quality control system for that price; but if he wants to add a little elbow grease in to make it work for his satisfaction, why argue? I find the US made stuff (borla, magnaflow, etc) to be better quality because they have better Q.C. Sounds like you got the frankenstein system ping-ho welded together to make his quota, but if that works for you, good buy! Keep an eye on it to ensure it a) doesn't rust out b) welds dont rust out

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Archived