LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy Limited steering wheel upgrade

PartShippers

I just purchased an 08 Legacy Limited 2.5i. One of the options i really wish i had is the audio control on my steering wheel. My vehicle is an auto sadly...but the wife asked for that...so thats that.

Any idea what my options are?

the 08 legacy limited has the cruise control on the right arm of the steering wheel. The left side is blank silver. The GT and I believe the Spec B come with audio controls(correct me if i'm wrong).

Now i see this steering wheel from a spec b...it appears to have all audio...and a cruise lever? Do we have the harness in an 08 Limited to control the stereo from our steering wheel within the column? If its just a matter of swapping wheels, plugging in a few pieces and using the lever for cruise...i'd be extremely happy.

Please help/advise.

Jeff

[http://www.thekingofparts.com/catalog/spebwhl.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you can find the "08" steering wheel it may work. Many 05-07 members have swapped in the 06/07 spec. b steering wheel. The 2008 wheel looks a little different though so using this wheel may not work. Search around someone has a diy.

if you have the shift controls in your wheel already.. you can swap them for radio controls.

I happen to have a pair for sale.

The walk through section has details on adding the radio controls to your car.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/Ob08Ltdsteeringwhl1.JPGhttp://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/Leg08specbsteerwhl1.JPG

My 2.5i automatic wheel compared to a gt manual wheel. What i'm questioning is...i'm curious if the plug for the radio controls are in the steering column if i simply purchase the radio controls on the left side of the wheel like the GT and Spec b has. Sorry the first post steering wheel isn't from an 08...so yes..its definitely different. the 2 photos i just posted are exactly what i'm referring to.

tia,

Jeff

update. i just called Tristan at Fred Beans Subby(local to me) (The King of Parts) and asked him...he'll have an answer for me shortly..he's checking. If so...us 08' owners have an easy way of adding radio controls to our cars. So instead of everyone with 08's buying new spec b wheels...it might be as simple as purchasing the radio control buttons. I'll let you know within an hour.

If you get a chance, ask your buddy if there is a way to swap in an 08 steering wheel from an auto to an 07 auto and have both the audio controls work as well as the paddle shifters.

Thanks

Sully

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

they are taking a 2.5i wheel apart and seeing if the plugs are there. then then will hook up the steering wheel buttons to verify. I also made him aware people may be interested in the 08wheels on thier pre 08 cars. Unless your car has paddle shifters already...i wouldn't get excited about simply using the 08 paddle shifters on a car that didn't have them in the first place. If the pre 08's did have paddle shifters...then its possible its the same plug or you can simply tap wires. I'm sure anything is possible and some electrical genius could tell you how to wire them in...but i have no idea.

Ok...they didn't have an extra set of buttons to use...and the harness is there...they are 90% sure it is going to work...to the point of selling me one and they will take it back should it not work. I'll have my radio controls around monday. I'll let you know shortly after then.

regarding the steering wheel swap...the wheel will swap...but they prefer not to discuss changing wires etc due to air bag deployment. remember...they are a dealership...they can't give that type of advice. I'm sure subaru wouldn't change the spline...it will be a matter of harnesses and wiring.

If you get a chance, ask your buddy if there is a way to swap in an 08 steering wheel from an auto to an 07 auto and have both the audio controls work as well as the paddle shifters.

Thanks

Sully

Sully, just a quick note: The paddle shifters are attached to the steering column, not the wheel. That being said I don't know what the wiring difference is since the 5EAT controls are on the wheel in the 07 and on the steering column in the 08. I'm sure you could figure something out with these, Maybe get a whole steering column? or something, but you could probably cut the wires that go through the roll connector for the 5EAT controls and hook them up to the paddle shifters on the column and then wire in the radio controls in their place.

PartShippers - Putting the wheel on, and plugging it in should be a breeze, more than likely though your radio isn't wired into the steeringwheel and you will have to splice wires to get them interact. Just giving you a heads up.

actually i disagree...

The 2.5i, the GT and the Spec b all have cruise control on the right side of the steering wheel. The GT and the Spec B have radio controls on the left side of the steering wheel...the 2.5i has a plastic cover instead. More then likely...Subaru didn't make a special harness just for the 2.5i to eliminate the steering wheel controls...it would be more cost effective to reproduce the same harness but offer the silly option to seperate the model line a bit.

thats my guess anyway

actually i disagree...

The 2.5i, the GT and the Spec b all have cruise control on the right side of the steering wheel. The GT and the Spec B have radio controls on the left side of the steering wheel...the 2.5i has a plastic cover instead. More then likely...Subaru didn't make a special harness just for the 2.5i to eliminate the steering wheel controls...it would be more cost effective to reproduce the same harness but offer the silly option to seperate the model line a bit.

thats my guess anyway

Rationally I would agree with you on this, however they saw fit (atleast in the MY07) to have only the Spec B wired to the connector, as well as have 5EAT wired differently for the Shifter buttons and in the 2.5i nothing else was wired to the steering wheel except the basics.

crossing fingers to get lucky

I hope its really as easy as plug and play for you man. Otherwise May have to go and figure out which plugs are which. If its the same plug (a white one on the steering column) then maybe it'll be the same layout for wiring. Shouldn't be too bad.

Eric

Archived