LegacyGT.com

REbuilding my motor

I have a 2.2L That needs rebuilding. I have a spun bearing and have it mostly broke down at this point. one more piston to pull then opening the block.

So my question is what is the best way to go? New everything? Upgrading everything? This is a motor with 250K on it. I am in no rush and the money wont be a deciding factor.

Looking for any input possible.

Are the heads/cams good? If you spun a bearing there is possibility of metal flakes in all the oil passages, so give everything a good clean.

I'll just leave this here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmtEQ1GpmA]Subaru STI Short Block Assembly - YouTube[/ame]

• 3 weeks later...

it's all about what you want out of it. Want crazy power? STi.

Want to get a good daily driver that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Rebuild the EJ22E if able.

You will need to measure the bore at that age, not just size but out-of-round and taper. If you lost a lot of bearing material then the crank and block need to be checked a lot. I found my EJ22E in good shape at 200K (it wasn't broken, just decided to rebuild it, long story), just got honed and re-ringed (yes, re-used the original pistons and rods!). Heads rebuilt locally, not too pricey, and it works great. You'd be amazed how long the N/A motors can last, unlike the turbo motors. Durability went out the door once the EJ22T was retired, due to easy power that can be made with a few hop-ups.

Archived