LegacyGT.com

quick question

On my car(ej205) there is the stock oil pressure sender that shows

Temp sensor adapters can be found on WRXtra and it replaces your stock oil pan drain plug and plugs in there. Or else you may have another unused "galley" plug underneath the intake to plug into

I always thought (in our models anyway) the oil pressure sensor was pre set to a defined value and if the pressure was below that defined value it would trigger the light, Therefore connecting a pressure gauge to the sensor wouldn't give you any readings I could be wrong though

Yes, once the oil pressure is below a certain level the light will come on. Generally, once your oil level is low enough it comes on. I've also run a motor a bit low and hard cornering caused it to come on. It's pretty sensitive and specific.

Mechanical gauges are such a bad idea. All of them except boost gauges. Here's what's happens, say you have a mechanical oil pressure or fuel pressure gauges and the line ran inside the car rubs against something and a hole is created. You going to get oil or fuel all inside your car and you won't know it until your cars on fire. I've seen a fuel gauge do this exact thing to my friends Supra even after I told him not to install mechanical gauges. Guess what his car burnt up. Bad idea guys. Electrical gauges don't cost that much more and the piece of mind is def worth it.

For your question, you can go to a speed shop and get a splitter with the thread size of the oil dummy light port. Just run them both off the one oil port. You really don't need a oil temp gauge unless you have a turbo and a decent amount of HP. I am not 100% if our cars ECUs need to see the correct oil pressure signal in order to run. My Supra won't start until it sees a minimum oil pressure and will cut off the engine if that set value is crossed. If it's not needed you could use the port on the splitter for a oil temp gauge.

The dummy light comes on under 5psi. So if its on while you are running or driving your oil pressure is dangerously low. It will stay on for maybe two seconds as the engine is started during the oil pumps initial startup

And in the case of the wrx it doesn't matter if you can see the oil pressure or not it will run. The oil pressure sensor is not connected to the ecu only the oil light on the dash. I have a relocation kit from WRXtra.. But honestly my car is not modified enough to need the oil pressure gauge just yet.

Thanks spooln. I thought I can get a sender, but wasn't sure if it was just as easy as replacing that then wiring in the gauge.

I am going to run an oil cooler soon, as im in a lot of city traffic and want a good baseline, and also just know the vitals of this motor. I already feel bad about that seeing as if I get into an accident the cooler will piss oil everywhere, but id rather have it out there than in my cabin. I've always thought mechanical gauge systems were sketchy.

As far as a 205 goes... that really has no relevance to me seeing as I have a 222. I believe, as you stated, that turbo cars have different oiling system as far as sensors go.

But that's what I needed to know.

Now for what im trying to achieve is it a good idea to go all out on a decent gauge or do they make gauge that are cheaper and be just fine for what im doing?

Whatever you do just don't buy those ProSport gauges. They suck balls. Autometer gauges are good and can be found cheap. I have Delphi gauges in my Supra and love them but they are a little pricey. When you get your oil cooler make sure you also install a oil thermostat other wise it will consistently pump oil through the cooler when it's not needed. Mocal makes a sandwich plate that has a 180deg oil thermostat incorporated into the sandwich plate. I have this same one on my Supra and its a nice little unit. I kinda went overboard with the oil control and cooling on this car because of the amount of HP the engine produces. For the best engine protection I also installed a Canton Accusump. This is a pressurized cylinder filled with oil and before you start your engine you open the valve and it builds oil pressure before even turning the key. It will also protect your engine from a sudden loss of oil pressure because when it sees a low condition it will again pressurize the system. Then what you do before you turn off the car is you rev the engine to get about 40 psi then shut the valve to the accusump off so on the next start you have 40 psi to prelube. It's a great part to have and could save an engine for sure.

But honestly my car is not modified enough to need the oil pressure gauge just yet.

I don't agree with this. IMO any turbo, supercharged or modified engine should have a oil pressure gauge. It could save you money because by the time a stupid 5psi dummy light comes on its probably too late already.

Archived