LegacyGT.com

New Project. 2005 LGT Limited Crashed and Burned

10933771_10204239228514532_2973510348236151529_n.jpg?oh=24ffca3a5cbd96fb9bc9d664995a4574&oe=55CAE62F

Picked this little fella up from a guy in Williamsburg, VA. As this is probably my 20th Subaru, and my 4th or 5th Subaru project I'm ready to dive right in.

Aside from the front-end being crashed up a bit, it runs like it's got one fuel injector.

1503352_10204300203438867_2458554693860770624_n.jpg?oh=031dca85ec12e6e5eba518a9e3376fd7&oe=55C362D0

Tossed the wheels in the trash and swapped on a set of 2012 Impreza alloys and 2014 STI Dunlops.

After pulling the front-end off everything frame-wise is straight. Air bags are still intact, and the sensors were completely undisturbed. Hood and fenders are straight; whatever this car hit wasn't that brutal at all. I already picked up the bumper and foam for $70 from a junkyard. And while every body shop in the world would probably advise me to scrap the front cover, I think I'm going to repair this one. I don't get to do body work too often, so this is a good chance to practice repairing plastic.

More to come!

Diagnosis with the motor...

Compression and leak-down all good. Doesn't appear to be any metal in the oil, but the turbo is pissing oil into the up-pipe.

http://images.craigslist.org/01515_aECeJlcvsgG_600x450.jpg

This was installed where the turbo should go. :-) Swapping this out for a VF-52 and a new Perrin up-pipe. Down-pipe and catback appear to all be aftermarket, except for the mufflers.

Yeah, this thing needs a lot of love, but all the parts are there; even the cover for the tow-hook. I'm glad he didn't part it out.

Yeah, MrTris, I've been around. I miss the West coast, but the Navy pays me quite a bit to be on the East coast right now. But it's so hard to find a rust-free project on this side of the country. And with their weather, it's either a rust bucket or a hurricane victim. :-)

• 3 months later...

11150559_10204845230824211_6018603912237553313_n.jpg?oh=d9bb053218fe3647ce025669c84aea24&oe=56049897

So...4 months later it is relatively straight body-wise, but I'm really starting to think I made a mistake taking it to a shop who specializes in Hondas, not Subarus.

Once the new turbo (VF-52) got swapped on, and everything was bolted back together the shop was noting low oil pressure, and a rich condition.

After swapping and cleaning some AVCS solonoids, and trying to un-stick cam gears, and a few other small parts, the motor was running fine, but then the tranny wasn't shifting properly. After replacing the tranny wiring harness, then the shifting solonoids the tranny was up and running, but the issues with the motor were back. So, as I understand it...

There is no oil pressure being read AFTER the oil pressure switch. I don't know enough about these motors, but apparently it's a ghost gripe that only returned after the tranny work was done. They were supposed to pull the oil pan to inspect for particulates (which I asked them to do back in February), to see if something keeps flying around and clogging the oil system. This motor had better still be good, because I don't feel like laying down $3000 for a new short block install.

Cool, thanks for the tip.

Yes, the filters were pulled and replaced. The old ones were kind of crushed and mangled, which makes me question every bit of workmanship that went into this car. I trust this shop, it's just that Subaru is not their specialty. It's been a stressful troubleshooting period.

If the oil pickup cracks, will that entirely starve the crank of oil pressure, or just affect readings?

Okay, I just spoke with the tech. He's had this car for over 4 months and is definitely ready to get this troubleshot and repaired.

It sounds as though the oil pickup is working, as there is oil pressure at the sending unit (where he's reading), which would mean that there is oil in the crank. The problem is there is no pressure in the AVCS/heade, so something is stopping up the oil between the block and the heads. does that make sense? Any ideas?

Okay, I just spoke with the tech. He's had this car for over 4 months and is definitely ready to get this troubleshot and repaired.

It sounds as though the oil pickup is working, as there is oil pressure at the sending unit (where he's reading), which would mean that there is oil in the crank. The problem is there is no pressure in the AVCS/heade, so something is stopping up the oil between the block and the heads. does that make sense? Any ideas?

Did you check the AVCS feed line and the filter in the banjo bolt?

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/101927-turbo-oil-feed-avcs-line-replacement.html

Do you know the build date ? Late 05's and early to mid 06's had oil pick up tube issues.

4 months....

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I thought they checked both the banjo bolts and oil feel for AVCS. Its possible they didn't, I'll need to check again.

****, I don't like not having my own parking spaces/garage to do work in. I don't like that I can't just go outside and look myself.

Check the oil return hose for leaks or cracks.

I think I missed this suggestion the first go around. The iwsti.com link below mentions the same issue, I think. Are you referring to the AVCS oil feed on the passenger side? Or another line I should be looking at. Can I just search "oil return line crack" in the forums?

When you say "oil filter", do you mean the engine oil filter? Or the AVCS banjo filter?

Will the engine oil filter cause bypass?

Engine oil filter. Yes they can stay stuck in by-pass. I have seen it happen. Only allows oil pressure to go so high.

Archived