LegacyGT.com

Moving to Queens

RJS5689

I'm looking at moving to Queens with a few friends within the next few weeks. I was born and raised in Westchester and never lived in any of the boroughs. I really like parts of Brooklyn as well, but the commute from Brooklyn to Westchester for work would be a huge pain (I'm a recent college graduate looking for work in the city, so my job in Westchester is temporary).

While my sister was in law school she lived in Fresh Meadows, but I don't want to be that deep into Queens. I'd prefer a shorter commute into the city and an easier drive to Westchester. We've been considering neighborhoods like Astoria, Sunnyside, Kew Gardens, Forest Hills and Elmhurst. Can any locals give me some more advice on conveniently located neighborhoods that are also fairly safe? We're not looking for the most ravenous nightlife or the most action; we want something that gives us easy access to public transit (one roommate goes to Fordham University and the other will be working in Mantahhan most likely) and also provides me with easy highway access to get up to Westchester for work (and to see my family who all live in Southern Westchester). Any advice/input on Queens neighborhoods is welcomed!

My daily commute would involve either the Triboro Bridge (RFK) or the Whitestone Bridge depending on which route I take and where in Queens I move to. Do any locals have a good route to avoid the bridge toll in at least one direction. I have a friend in the Bronx who manages to avoid the toll, but I'm not quite sure how he does it. If it's feasible, I'd probably like to bypass the toll on my way home from work.

well i live in BK and work in astoria one advice for you dont move to Queens. Its whether a bad neighborhood or an expensive one. In astoria rentals are insanely priced and parking is none existent. Live in Westchester until you find a job in a city then move. i've done Cortland to Brooklyn commute for almost two years 5 days a week for work and school its not that bad. Once you get a stable job in a city then find a neighborhood you can afford and want to live in.

I lived in Queens for 24 years. MOst of it was spent in Elmhurst/Forest Hills/Corona. Forest Hills in nice, specially if you live on the other side of Queens Blvd by Austin St. There you have the option to take the lIRR or the subway. Whatever you do, and if you like your sanity, try to get a garage for your car. Parking is really a pain, and the alternate side cleanings do not help. Also when it snows it is a mess!

X

---

Its whether a bad neighborhood or an expensive one. In astoria rentals are insanely priced and parking is none existent. Live in Westchester until you find a job in a city then move.

We've been finding plenty of affordable rentals in nice neighborhoods -- especially in Astoria. I'd stay in Westchester longer, but one of my roommates is moving to New York from out-of-state, so that puts some pressure on us to move in sooner.

why not live in Northern NJ in bergen county.

None of us want to live in NJ. We all prefer one of the boroughs. I'd stay in Southern Westchester before I move to Jersey. It's nothing against Jersey, it's just not where I want to live.

MOst of it was spent in Elmhurst/Forest Hills/Corona. Whatever you do, and if you like your sanity, try to get a garage for your car. Parking is really a pain, and the alternate side cleanings do not help. Also when it snows it is a mess!

Those are the areas I like as well. How is mass transit into Manhattan and how is access to the highway to get up to Westchester? I've heard some sketchy things about Corona -- what was your experience? A few of the places we're looking at offer indoor parking, which is pretty nice.

I say Corona is an up and coming neighborhood, depending on where you rent. There is a lot of diversity, and a lot more than Forest Hills/Kew Gardens. Also the rent may be a little cheaper because of this.

Definitely get something with a parking space, it makes a world of a difference. Parking spaces go from ~$60 to ~120 depending on where you are. The closer to Queens Blvd you are , the closer that you will be to the train. Also The Forest Hills/71 Ave And Roosevelt Ave/74th St subway stations allow you to take the express train into the city. if not you have to take the local, and then change to the express. It is a lot of hassle and commuting, and one of the main reasons I moved to FL. But a lot of people do it on a daily basis and are OK.

GL

X

queens-subway-map.jpg.f0d508a1b443ad6555daf9ce80c1cb1d.jpg

---

I lived in Woodside, Jackson Heights, Forest Hills, and now Fresh Meadows. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. The first three are close to subways which makes commuting into the city a breeze, but all three of them have issues with parking unless you get a paid spot. Fresh Meadows is nice because its more suburban. Parking is easy, but to get to the city is a pain. Bus to train or express buses. Right now, I drive to Flushing, find parking, and hop on the 7 train.

Archived