LegacyGT.com

help with sirius radio

smack

i am planning on installing sirius into my 2007 2.5i tomorow, got the original "starmate" from a friend, and i want to know if i need to use the siruis antenna and wire it through the car onto the roof, or can i just plug the console peice into the car and it will use the stock radios antenna?

i heard about our cars being XM capable and i think siruis and xm have merged soo. please help.

i tried to call subaru today but i was on hold for 20 minutes each time and couldnt sit there any longer.

thanks

smack

i am planning on installing sirius into my 2007 2.5i tomorow, got the original "starmate" from a friend, and i want to know if i need to use the siruis antenna and wire it through the car onto the roof, or can i just plug the console peice into the car and it will use the stock radios antenna?

i heard about our cars being XM capable and i think siruis and xm have merged soo. please help.

i tried to call subaru today but i was on hold for 20 minutes each time and couldnt sit there any longer.

thanks

smack

You'll need to use the antenna supplied with the starmate. I have mine sitting on the corner of the dash at the base of the passenger side A-pillar right up against the windshield.

PS-- Sirius and XM have not merged yet.

thanks bro, but did yours say you had to have it on something metal and on the outside?

Probably. I've had it installed on the interior of my cars for 2 years though without a problem. I don't think I have the install instructions anymore though.

thanks bro, but did yours say you had to have it on something metal and on the outside?

ha. i remember trying to place my dad's XM radio magnetic antenna on his all-aluminum Audi A8l... haha.. finally just put it on an interior metal piece inside of the read window :spin:

I have mine sitting on the corner of the dash at the base of the passenger side A-pillar right up against the windshield.

Don't make me tell you where your own antenna is!:lol:

ignore him, he'll go away.

You'll need to use the antenna that goes with the starmate. I have my wife's sirius antenna mounted beneath the thrid brake light on the rear deck... same position as the GPS antenna in my car. No problems with reception, and there's a ground plane (metal) right beneath it.

ignore him, he'll go away.

smack ~

I just traded in my 05 LGT for an 08 Legacy. I had (have) the Starmate 4 as well. I'm not sure about the 07 model, but I know in the 05 I had to purchase a special adapter to connect the Starmate to the FM antenna (instead of using the wireless FM transmitter).

I also had my Sirius antenna wedged between the dash and windshield in the 05. I live in a somewhat suspect area and didn't want my antenna stolen, so I left it inside. Never really had a problem unless I was driving south, southeast at dusk (I'm from PA and by the time I got to VA Beach, I was losing signal).

In my new 08, I had to wait a week to get the Sirius receiver installed. In the meantime I left my Starmate 4 on the passenger seat, connected to the nifty AUX connection in the armrest and ran the Sirius antenna into the backseat deck. There are metal clips for a carseat on the back deck with plastic covers on them. I actually let the antenna attach itself to one of these brackets. Reception was even less of a problem.

BTW, Sirius and XM have merged, but they are still trying to decide how to get the equipment merged.

http://investor.sirius.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=230306

Good luck!

Zim

Have they *actually* merged yet? That only shows that they signed an agreement to merge, but last I heard that it was pending FCC approval or something...

You are correct. I apologize for the confusion posted earlier.

I guess there are multiple steps to merging. Sirrius/XM have agreed amongst themselves to merge, but the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) have filed a complaint stating that it would be a monopoly.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/31/sirius-xm-merger-achieves-dubious-milestone/

...and yes, the FCC is getting involved too.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003609264

Regards,

Zim

For the longest time, I've had Sirius (NFL Network and Howard!). My 07 GT Limited came with XM only. I subscribed to it to give it a chance. It's been a few days now and I don't like it. I want my Sirius!

Here are my options:

1. Wait for XM and Sirius to complete their merge and start serving some crossover content.

2. Find a way to swap out the XM tuner and antenna for a Sirius tuner and antenna.

3. Get rid of the XM subscription and install the Starmate 4 into the cubby and hardwire it. Antennae will most likely go onto the dash.

Archived