LegacyGT.com

Ej20H into 1996 Legacy (Liberty)

Hi,

Finally found this website looking for help!

I have a ej20h that has been rebuilt and fitted into my 1996 Legacy. It originally had the ej25 with twin coil wasted spark set up. So i have got it to the point were the coils (COP) will spark for 1 revolution then stop. Which seems to me as a synchronous issue? IE CAS's are out of sync or incorrect for the ecu.

I have pinned out all the way back to the ecu and run new signal wires to the 4 channel ignitor (sr20 version of oem) and check harness all to the way to the ecu. From the only ecu pinout for an ej20h i can find it all should be ok. I have the plastic cam sprockets if that is any help. I have also checked the both sensors a/c voltage and they are both outputting.

Im seriously doing this atm :spin: . Can i please get some gurus to shed some light?

i don't know much about the ej20H so this may not apply.

but if the crank or cam sprockets have different types of triggers, it could be the problem.

generally speaking,

the crank and cam sprockets MUST match the ECU,

and the ECU must match the wiring in the chassis.

if you change any one, sprockets, ECU or wiring, you must change all three.

it is entirely possible that the sprockets are the same, i don't know.

but if they are different, this could be your problem.

generally speaking the cam controls the fuel, and the crank cntrols the spark.

but i think i have heard that if the computer looses one,

it will default to a generic setup and operate off of one,

but i'm not sure this is accurate.

good luck.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking is the cam wheels are incorrect for the ecu. It has an orange atm, original injectors and it's the ecu that was supplied with the engine. I'm looking for some sort of confermation in regards to what is actually supposed to be on there for a 4g ecu I have ecu model number if that is any help.

Surely you're using the EJ20H ecu with the 20H, so we must assume that they match. If this is not the case, fix it.

So to continue, we know the ecu will now have the correct sensor triggers for the ecu, so what else comes into play. Well, dwell does, not all igniters are equal. I have had some pretty mongrel combinations of igniters and coils in my time. Beast used to run his igniter on coil on plug setup with an impreza ecu designed for wasted spark and coil and leads, it went fine. Then there's my latest project, I'm running coil pack on manifold with a first gen legacy GT ecu (which is supposed to be coil on plug, single seperate two plug igniter) and that works, but I tried it with a single plug igniter out of a bg n/a and it wouldn't spark at all. Wiring on bother options I tried were correct, but the ecu refused to work with the single plug igniter, had to have the old bc two plug.

I say just get it running factory, factory 20h ecu, with its factory coils on plug. Get it running, then worry about converting to coil and leads.

I'm fairly sure its the right ecu. I will post a pic of the s/n. I seem to get a good solid spark on the 1st revolution then stops. I've got the 4 channel wire as own ( 4 signals to 4 channel with earth then the 4 outputs to coils. I've always got it wired as 1,3,2,4.on the ecu as I found out that Subaru label there ecu outputs in firing order not cyl number is that true?

I have pretty much replaced it. I used the only pinout I could find regarding a 20h and repinned the ecu to suit the pinout and ran two new ignitor signal wires. The main thing I'm trying to find is what cas sensors it's supposed to have as I am getting a good solid spark on one revolution then the ecu cuts ignition. So it sounds to me like the signals from the crank or can angle sensor or both aren't matching what the ecu wants.

Archived