LegacyGT.com

AutoZone Gold Battery 05 LGT

I just replaced the stock battery in my LGT with a Gold from Autozone.

I noticed that the posts are smaller diameter than the stock posts, so the installer put some kind of sheathing over the post before connecting the terminals.

I also noticed that there is a black plastic ring on the underside of the negative terminal which made it extremely difficult to get the terminal over the post with the sheath on it.

I have seen some discussion re Autozone Gold batteries on this forum, but haven't seen anything about a similar experience.

Anyone have the same issues?

I just purchased the Duralast gold from autozone this week. Is that the Battery your referring to? If it is then no, I didn't experience the same problem.

Yes It's the duralast gold.

So your terminals were able to be tightened against the post iteslf? Any pics of your terminals/post?

You'll have to excuse the poor lighting my iphone doesn't have a flash.

[ATTACH]77886[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]77887[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]77888[/ATTACH]

Thanks very much...This is very interesting...your terminals appear the same as mine... I wonder if the issue is because of the felt rings that they put on the bottom of the posts not letting the terminals seat correctly on mine...

Thanks very much...This is very interesting...your terminals appear the same as mine... I wonder if the issue is because of the felt rings that they put on the bottom of the posts not letting the terminals seat correctly on mine...

Is there any chance they sold you the wrong battery. I've never heard of different size terminals, but you never know.

Is it the same dimension as your old battery?

So I took off the terminal, cap and the felt ring. There is at least 1 mm gap between the terminal and post when the nut is fully tightened.

Could the terminals have stretched? Before I replaced the stock battery yesterday the terminal was only disconnected once in 4.5 years.

I'm about to go spend another $100 to buy a Subaru battery but don't want to have the same issue if the terminals have stretched.

This is what I would do.

Compare the posts of the Duralast battery to another battery, if the posts are too small or defective take the duralast battery back to autozone and exchange it.

If the problem is not the posts on the new battery and your terminals need replaced take the car to Subaru and replace them under warranty. If you out of your warranty, buy the oem terminals and replace them yourself. If your not comfortable with this then have Subaru do the work.

Well I got Autozone to take the battery back, and I went ahead and bought a replacement from Subaru. Oddly enough, I think it's actually the same battery. (and is different from the OE.)

Still have the terminal fitment issue...Bringing it to the dealer for new battery cables this week...

Archived