LegacyGT.com

100,000 mile 2.5T Engine Valve Problems..!?!?

JER5EY

100,000 mile 2.5T Engine Valve Problems..!?!? Anyone else?

I bought my '06 LGT in May of 2006 with a 100k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty from the dealer.

I took it to my local dealer for major PM services, and changed the oil every 3-4k myself, using Mobil 1 synthetic & filters. I always filled up with a name brand (mostly Sunoco, Exxon/Modil or Citgo) 92/93-octane fuel, and changed my air filter, fuel filter, etc. as recomended in my manual. I was even prepared to fork out another $800 to my local dealer to have my timing belt replaced at 105k, per the manual.

So, after spending about $6,500 in preventative maintenance over the life of the car so far, at 99,950 miles, my check engine light comes on, and the car starts to run rough. I bring in it to the local dealer who tells me I have low compression in cylinder #2.

Now, 10-days later, I find I have a burnt exhaust valve. Yes, it's only a two day repair, but it took them an additional 8 days of troubleshooting, then going back and forth with the warranty company (they sold the warranty to avoid the exposure). They determined it would not be covered (burnt exhaust valves are excluded in this particular warranty, which was not indicated on my sales order showing 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, just on theirs that they sold - a story for another day...) I am now spending $2,000 on a head-job (pardon the pun)... and that's only one side - I may have valves on the verge of not fully closing on the other side, too! I also spent $500 to rent a car for this 10-day process just so I could get to & from work. (Needless to say, I am a bit sour...)

Anyone else have an issue similar to this? Sticky or burnt valves around 100,000 miles?

I have 739xx miles on my car with no problems. Completed all maintenance with regular oil changes, new belts (excluding timing belt) and I have no problems at all. If I were you, I would argue with them until you lose your voice. If you paid for something and not getting the service your PAID for, it clearly isn't right. But, if you have expanded all measures in trying to do what you can, don't let the Subaru dealer do the work. It will cost you an arm and a leg. Try to find a small, but RENOWNED shop that knows what they're doing, and work out a deal. To answer your question, I haven't had anything wrong with my car (knock on wood) and if there was to be something in a couple thousand dollar range, I wouldn't be able to afford it, so the car may just sit around for a while, while I end up driving around one of my parent's cars.

• 8 months later...

Archived