LegacyGT.com

Install ideas / questions bout cubby etc

gfxdave99

Ive seen several installs on the board using the AVO cubby, however for the people who have taken it apart, is there enough depth there that if i wanted to fabricate something to use the OEM cubby and retain the door (i know the stereo would have to sit back a bit because of the swing arms) But regardless is there enough room?

2nd question is I just want to verify that nobody has tried hooking up a JDM single zone to a USDM legacy just to see what would happen?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I would also like to try keeping the door for the cubby hole. It would definitely be nice to hide any aftermarket HU in there to make it less of a target for someone to break in.

The only problem I can see is that the cubby isn't wide enough to keep the door because the hinge is on the side. Any deck you install in there is the full width of the cubby hole, and I also hear people having to shave some more plastic on the right and left sides of the cubby just to get a deck to fit.

Yes, it will fit, but you'll have to angle the back upwards to clear the big steel bar back there. It the deck's sitting level in the dash, should clear fine. That means it's not level versus the cubby - make sense?

Biggest obstacle will be the door, you'll have to remove the higes completely. I suspect you could make it removable, attach it with magnets or velcro, tho I'd worry about magnets vs. headunit computers.

I toyed with a lot of options putting in a half-din for the same reasons - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15580 Check the pictures there. The back of this piece required right angle rca's as it sits right in front of the big bar back there.

Well i was taking a closer look at the door, and i think using the usdm cubby door and some fabrication you could make a new hinge...

Part of me just wants to order a jdm climate control and see what happens.. I mean it couldnt be any worse then the stock control :lol::lol::lol:

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

i was thinking the same thing about the cubby door keeping the HU from prying eyes.....

the outer cubby door skin is removeable - there are three screws holding it on from the back. i was trying to think of some way to attach it, but i moved on to other projects. i'll figure something out soon - just wanted to be able to slap it on to hide the stereo if i was parked at work all day, etc.

I'm currently working on the issue of keeping the existing door for hiding the head unit. The solution me and a friend have come up with is this:

The door skin has been removed and reinstalled on a custom rail system that attaches to the head unit.

A simple circuit was built and a servo used to automatically open/close the cubby door when the ignition is turned on/off.

The metal accent on the door was used and converted to a static switch that allows manual opening/closing the door at will.

This will make for a completely seemless and stealth install. Just last month I had $2000 stolen from my 04 WRX, so the stealth install is KEY.

My friend that is making this for me is considering making a few more for other 05 outback owners and selling them. It beats the heck out of the AVO cubby kit that is $115 and a total rip off!

I hope the install to be complete within a couple of weeks, I'll keep you guys posted. Can anyone offer any insight on the cutting of the dash supports? Any ill effects? Has anyone re-supported the dash after cutting it?

Oh ya, this is my first post, I just got an 05 Outback and signed up to the forum today! Glad to be here!

Ben

http://www.alaskanphotographs.com

I'm currently working on the issue of keeping the existing door for hiding the head unit. The solution me and a friend have come up with is this:

The door skin has been removed and reinstalled on a custom rail system that attaches to the head unit.

A simple circuit was built and a servo used to automatically open/close the cubby door when the ignition is turned on/off.

The metal accent on the door was used and converted to a static switch that allows manual opening/closing the door at will.

This will make for a completely seemless and stealth install. Just last month I had $2000 stolen from my 04 WRX, so the stealth install is KEY.

My friend that is making this for me is considering making a few more for other 05 outback owners and selling them. It beats the heck out of the AVO cubby kit that is $115 and a total rip off!

I hope the install to be complete within a couple of weeks, I'll keep you guys posted. Can anyone offer any insight on the cutting of the dash supports? Any ill effects? Has anyone re-supported the dash after cutting it?

Oh ya, this is my first post, I just got an 05 Outback and signed up to the forum today! Glad to be here!

Ben

www.alaskanphotographs.com

Well my friend I will be waiting patiently for your progress.. :) :) :)

Ben

www.alaskanphotographs.com

wow, i just was thinking of trying to "attach" the cubby door over the stereo - you're making it permanent and motorized! bling bling!!! :D

i'd love to see a vid of this thing in action when you're done. very cool idea.

Welcome to the OB junkie forum. Cutting the dash supports is pretty straightforward, an air-powered saw or sawzall is helpful. Immediately after removing, you'll notice the dash is a bit softer on top where it was rigid before. Once the cubby/vent piece is re-installed it seems to firm up again.

So the short answer is no, no ill effects from removal. It is a little disheartening to take a saw to the dash in your new ride tho...

It is a little disheartening to take a saw to the dash in your new ride tho...

:lol: when i was installing my stereo, i was sitting there ready to pull the trigger on the Sawz-All inside the dash and thought, "am i insane?!?!?"

the plastic is very soft/brittle, though, and cuts very quickly and easily.

So we're really close to the actual install. After a few more parts and materials arrive it'll get done. Currently we're working on a way to make these kits via plastic injection molding. That would increase the consistancy and intergrity of the kits.

How do you guys feel about motorized/static switch models vs. a manual non-motorized version that would require that the occupant reach up and pull out/down the cubby door?

Mine will be automatic and videos will be taken and posted....

I'll take the manual.. the bling of the automatic is nice.. but also like on a long trip i could just shut it after ive programmed a long string of pimp tunes :)

I'll take the manual.. the bling of the automatic is nice.. but also like on a long trip i could just shut it after ive programmed a long string of pimp tunes :)

A manual version would be for simplicity. The static switch would provide the ability to close it while driving at any time.:dm:

A manual version would be for simplicity. The static switch would provide the ability to close it while driving at any time.:dm:

True that.. if there was a lil hidden switch for the door .. oooo weeee

• 4 weeks later...

Archived