LegacyGT.com

let your turbo cool down

i know everyone that has a turbo knows to let it cool. but here is a little story,

picked up my 05 gt wagon with 70k on it 5eat. you know the story.... runs good pulls strong..i always let it cool down for at least 10 min before shut down.

i know i need to pull the screen but im waiting on an up pipe.....(yea everyone is out of the greddy uppipe.

anyway

tonight i take a friend out make 3 hard pulls to 80mph in paddle shift mode. then i did a few donuts then one hard pull sliding sideways on the pavment around the building. anyway nothing hard hard on the car basicaly just some full throtle runs. so i pull up and pop the hood to let my friend see the engine while it cools down. as soon as i pop the hood (its at night) i seethe turbo, uppipe, and down pipe, is bright cherry red. with some yellow on the down pipe. i talk to my friend for 10 min then and i can still see the turbo and up pipe glowing......

so to those out there that DRIVE there cars 10 to 15 min should be the bear min for cool down. from now on ill do 20.....

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: so thats why the little finger screens git filled up oil residue that burns when the turbo............... is cooled down i would have thought the oil would only boil from being left in a bright red turbo. oh well stupid me......:redface:

sorry for the sarcasim ive spent some time on pirate4x4.com and it wore off on me a bit

It's supposedly not necessary for our oil/water cooled turbo. Almost nobody around here has a turbo timer. Personally if I've done any hard pulls i like to let the car cool down for at least 1 min before shutdown.

tonight i take a friend out make 3 hard pulls to 80mph in paddle shift mode. then i did a few donuts then one hard pull sliding sideways on the pavment around the building. anyway nothing hard hard on the car basicaly just some full throtle runs. so i pull up and pop the hood to let my friend see the engine while it cools down. as soon as i pop the hood (its at night) i seethe turbo, uppipe, and down pipe, is bright cherry red. with some yellow on the down pipe. i talk to my friend for 10 min then and i can still see the turbo and up pipe glowing......

welcome to the forum. please read the rules about "kill stories and/or street racing" any questions please feel free to pm me or another mod.

btw i call BS on the turbo or any other part of the engine being cherry red after a 10 min. cool down.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

welcome to the forum. please read the rules about "kill stories and/or street racing" any questions please feel free to pm me or another mod.

I remember the days when you used to post the link in with your welcome post. Getting lazy in your old age Bosco

I let my car cool down for an hour and a half idling in my front driveway after I do donuts with friends.

It wastes a quarter tank of gas but you can never be too sure.

Then I hit my turbo timer and let it sit another 15 minutes.

I let my car cool down for an hour and a half idling in my front driveway after I do donuts with friends.

It wastes a quarter tank of gas but you can never be too sure.

Then I hit my turbo timer and let it sit another 15 minutes.

Yep...it's all worth it for the turbo! Luckily the EPA doesn't include that in their mileage estimates or we'd all get 9mpg highway.

I park my car in a field of lava just to ensure everything stays red hot. I like to keep it at its peak operating temperature. Sure does get spendy on the tires though......

That's a good idea, I've been pulling my turbo out every night and putting it in the oven at 400 degrees minimum until I'm ready to drive again, with the electricity costs and wrench time I think buying new tires would be a much better solution. thanks!

Didn't realize turbo got that hot.........I can save money on cigarette lighters....just pull over , pop the hood , light up and take off !! (On a serious note to OP ...thanks for the heads up. It's never a bad idea to take precaution to protect our turbos from our hard driving)
Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

I just coast for the last 1-2 minutes of my drive if I've done any spirited driving. 20mins is absurd. :lol: Your cat will clogged with crap in a week.

Are you serious? I have NEVER seen my turbo glow red, even after a hard run. Did you datalog, maybe your A/f is lean and running too hot???? Just a theory.

I had an SRPee-4 for 6 months, that turbo was like a red flashlight under the hood at night even after one or two WOT runs.

btw i call BS on the turbo or any other part of the engine being cherry red after a 10 min. cool down.

Having streetraced back in the day for a number of years (not a story just an admission of guilty experience) I have seen my share of red hot headers. Cherry red (in fact anything more than a slight glow at all) after 10 minutes is highly unlikely.

Two words: HEAT CAPACITY

Archived