LegacyGT.com

Terribe griding noise, while turning in extremely cold weather

wpgspecb

This was taken in January of 2013, but today the weather is the same, and I still am told by my dealer that this sound is normal!

-30c today

-43c with wind chill

clunking/grinding at

This car has done it since NEW!

This was taken in January of 2013, but today the weather is the same, and I still am told by my dealer that this sound is normal!

-30c today

-43c with wind chill

clunking/grinding at

This car has done it since NEW!

Sounds like tire rub to me or possibly bad CV or bearing.

What size are your winter tires?

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

-30c today

-43c with wind chill

clunking/grinding at

I've got the same noise since I bought my spec.b (only in extreme cold weather). It does no harm.

• 1 month later...

mine seems to be related to throw out bearing. For last couple of years i had this noise. In winter it would appear and but as soon as it warms up it would go away. This winter was a same thing, it would appear for an extended period of time. In last about 3-4 days, it's not going away :( it's there constantly.

I was also getting a noise on highway after about 80km/h (50mph). It sounded like electric motor. Noise would increase with speed not with rpm (i tried downshifting). I also do hear any difference when i turn. It seems to come from engine bay, kind of like right from the middle of the dashboard. Then this winter this noise would appear at speeds of around 50-60km/h. Now i have that noise from TOB that's not going away, so i'm suspecting that TOB is causing that noise. They kind of sound similar.

You should not be having any noise when driving at those speeds while turning. My wagon doesn't make those noises at that temp.

I had a little air in my PS system a month back, the car when turn hard for the first few seconds of drving. I did a few figure 8's at slow speed in a parking lot going full lock to lock. We've had the same -20F since and the problem has gone away.

Go do that and see if your problem is still there. Hey, its free... can't hurt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
I just got a 00 legacy gt wagon and it has stiff Steering when cold and a rubber squeak kind of noise when turning wheel just in the slightest. I also her a slight electric motor noise when driving. Have not determined the actual problem but I do know that I have a loose ball joint and the cv bots are torn so I think these items have something to do with it.

I just got a 00 legacy gt wagon and it has stiff Steering when cold and a rubber squeak kind of noise when turning wheel just in the slightest. I also her a slight electric motor noise when driving. Have not determined the actual problem but I do know that I have a loose ball joint and the cv bots are torn so I think these items have something to do with it.

I would start with a fluid change in the PS. Often that's all the issue is.

-mike

My rear bearing was making sounds, unusal to a bearing. At first I thought it was my axel joints. If you can, get it on a hoist and play around with stethoscope. Changed it this weekend, PIA!!!!

I like you idea mounting the camera outside to get a good ear.

Archived