LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy AC problem, please help

I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me with this. I am desperate as summer is fast approaching and this problem is not yet resolved. I have taken the vehicle 2010 Legacy into the dealership for this problem on two different occasions. The first time I was told they hooked up a temp gage inside the car and it shows it blowing cold “acceptable” air and nothing seems to be wrong.

Two weeks later I took it back for same problems, this time they humor me and say I was down just a bit in Freon/coolant and the AC needed a slight recharge is all,they also said no leak detected at this time. Once they did that, no change, AC doing the same thing. Now for the problem, when driving with AC on, the AC never blows cold, but slightly chilled air, then suddenly it stops, and starts blowing out warm/non chilled air,(room temp)… then as quickly as it does that, a few minutes later back to chilled air and back and forth from warm to chilled. It never blows cold air constantly, only slightly chilled. What concerns me more, is how it switches back and forth constantly to chilled air to warm air. I called another dealership in my area, a different one from where I took it before and they told me most likely a component somewhere that’s telling the compressor to turn off and on, baisicly some component which they don’t know which one, is malfunctioning. The service tech said it will be extremely difficult to find the problem, if they can find the problem at all. He didn’t seem to have much hope in finding the cause. I’m desperate as I really love my Subaru and I hate to get rid of it, but since im in a state where temps are 100+ in the summer, I have to have the AC in working order. Anyone else experienced a similar problem or can help direct me to what the problem may be? I’m taking it in next week and if they can’t find the problem I really don’t know what my options are. What do I do then? It happens constantly so they should be able to tell it has a problem, but they said there are so many things it could be they just might never find what the cause is. I’m not sure if the whole compressor is bad and the first dealership didn’t want to replace it, or it’s something else. I’m drawing straws here as I have never had this happen before, thanks for your help on this. I really appreciate it.

Just curious. How hard are you on the throttle?

These cars automatically turn the AC off under throttle. If you are on it hard the car is turning it on and off and it doesn't have a chance to recirculate the air to make it cold.

Just a thought.

Thanks Subie_Mick.....it happens most of the time when I’m going over a slight hill, so I suppose I am accelerating slightly, but not really peddle to the metal.

Do you have any idea why these cars do this? This is my first Subaru, I have owned Nissans, Toyota’s, Honda’s and even a Mazda, and none of them shut off the AC when under throttle. Always had ice cold air, especially in the Toyotas, no matter if throttle engaged or not…is this a flaw in the vehicle?

Thanks Subie_Mick.....it happens most of the time when I’m going over a slight hill, so I suppose I am accelerating slightly, but not really peddle to the metal.

Do you have any idea why these cars do this? This is my first Subaru, I have owned Nissans, Toyota’s, Honda’s and even a Mazda, and none of them shut off the AC when under throttle. Always had ice cold air, especially in the Toyotas, no matter if throttle engaged or not…is this a flaw in the vehicle?

I've noticed the Subaru a/c bypass for acelleration, hills, etc. is very sensitive and active. Practically any type of speed or hills will shut it down. Probably for epa/mpg specs. They probably thought people wouldn't know or complain.

I would recommend tinting the windows and using a sunblock in the windshield when parking. Keep the windows open a crack and park in the shade too. The black interior soaks up heat.

I’m not concerned about performance, I’m concerned about sweating my nut's at 100+ temps in the summer and the AC not able to keep up and cool the car. It’s only in the 80s now and the car just won’t cool and it’s not helping matters it blows hot air when I accelerate. Even when it’s on and working properly I wouldn’t say it cold air; I suppose its just poor design. The service tech at Subaru told me that Subaru is notorious for having poor AC compressors and weak AC in general. Not too sure how much truth there is to that. Would be nice to catch these things before purchase but I have never had a car do this so didn’t know what to look for. I’m glad it’s not just my vehicle then. After having leaky struts replaced, the rack and pinion replaced, a front windshield that seems to have permanent spots and covered in a funky film when it rains, a bummer AC compressor would not be good. It’s does squeak a bit when the AC is on the lowest setting so I thought possibly it was on its way out.

It's not a Turbo, wish it was thought, that would be nice.

The A/C sucks in these cars and the cycling is normal (took it to the shop and they never found a problem). I have never had a car with such a terrible A/C as this one. On the hottest days here in the mid-west I have to turn the AC to max with recirc turned on and it can barely keep the cabin comfortable. It is one of the reasons I am looking to replace it even though it is a decent car otherwise. I paid for A/C, I expect it to work.

My AC has no problems keeping the car cool here in the south.

Maybe try getting a AC thermometer from an auto parts store and keep an eye on the air temperature?

What settings are you using? Automatic or manual climate control?

They *have* to fix the problem.

Im told by my dealer that Subaru is really bad at approving warranty repairs so dealers are afraid to get involved in troubleshooting and repairing issues.

email subaru customer service they will escalate the help u are getting.

The A/C sucks in these cars and the cycling is normal (took it to the shop and they never found a problem). I have never had a car with such a terrible A/C as this one. On the hottest days here in the mid-west I have to turn the AC to max with recirc turned on and it can barely keep the cabin comfortable.

I'd have to agree with Shriner - if I lived in a warmer climate, I think I'd sell my car... am not sure if its a design issue, a flaw with my particular vehicle, or what - but the A/C leaves alot to be desired... I haver the same exact issue - need to turn mine to MAX & recirc to be comfortable, on 85 - 90 degree days. If it got Arizona or Florida hot, am thinking I'd park it.

Well, I’m gulf coast Texas hot with humidity in the 90% ratio. So looks like this vehicle will be a trade in soon. The heat and humidity here is unbearable and with a vehicle with a crappy AC that can’t keep up just won’t cut it. Too bad, I really like the style of the car, very sporty and handles well for a sedan, ahhh well back to the boring Camry that has ice cold air and does NOT blow warm air when accelerating.

I think the AC is weak too, I live in PA and we generally stay about 80-90degrees in the summer but the humidity does get high. On hot days i have to run recirculate and turn the fan to high and it still takes 20 minutes for it to cool off and if you turn the fan down it doesn't stay comfortable for long on sunny days.

Well, I’m gulf coast Texas hot with humidity in the 90% ratio. So looks like this vehicle will be a trade in soon. The heat and humidity here is unbearable and with a vehicle with a crappy AC that can’t keep up just won’t cut it. Too bad, I really like the style of the car, very sporty and handles well for a sedan, ahhh well back to the boring Camry that has ice cold air and does NOT blow warm air when accelerating.

Man it gets hot down there. Personally I wouldn't own a subaru if I lived where there isn't snow. Especially on the gulf coast. I'd get a compact SUV and hit the beaches.

At least you are getting a Camry (that potentially was made by Subaru workers). Good luck my friend.

Took it in today to check AC yet once again, this time different dealership with same results, cant find anything wrong. I suppose that’s good news. However, with the summer coming I might be in the last days of ownership.

After a search on the problem I see others have the same issue. One post mentioned that these vehicles disengage the compressor once you accelerate to conserve on gas millage, when I told the service tech this info he looked like a dear in headlights... a blank stare then he shrugs his shoulders and said, never heard that before.

Took it in today to check AC yet once again, this time different dealership with same results, cant find anything wrong. I suppose that’s good news. However, with the summer coming I might be in the last days of ownership.

After a search on the problem I see others have the same issue. One post mentioned that these vehicles disengage the compressor once you accelerate to conserve on gas millage, when I told the service tech this info he looked like a dear in headlights... a blank stare then he shrugs his shoulders and said, never heard that before.

It doesn't just disengage when you accelerate, it is basically every 30 seconds or so. Subaru was way too conservative with their compressor cycling in order to prevent icing up of the coils. On a 100+ degree day I don't think that would be a concern but the A/C cycles the exact same way it does on 80 degree days. It's just a terrible air conditioner, worst I have ever owned. Gone are the days when we could cruise down the highway in my dad's '79 Bonneville with the inside as cold as a meat locker on a hot humid mid-west afternoon. Hell, the A/C on my '87 Accord was much better than my Subaru's.

• 5 years later...

Similar problem here but the A/C intermittently blows warm and cold air at highway speeds (80+) only. It seems to be fine at slower speeds and going around town but after a while on the highway, it'll start blowing warm air off and on. Never experienced this up north, only here in FL. Get's hotter than a f*** here but I'm not sure why it blows warm air. It's not the coolant level or I don't think it needs another A/C recharge. Are the compressors that sh**ty on these things or is it computer related?

Thoughts?

2010 Legacy 3.6R.

Mine turns off the AC when the coolant exceeds 227F. Here in Phoenix, with highs above 110F every F#@ing day that does happen to me on the highway now and then. It seems like when it's so hot out the radiator has trouble keeping up, even at 80mph and 3k rpm.

I'm planning to swap in an aftermarket radiator and see if that helps.

the very first thing you need to do if someone has just added r134a to the system without drawing it down first is to:

1. recover all refrigerant from system

2. make SURE it holds a vacuum for at least 30 minutes

3. Recharge system to proper level

Next,

make sure that all of your blend doors are working properly

make sure your cabin air filter is clean

when you first turn on the car set it to recirculate

if you live somewhere where it is extremely hot this is what I would also do

1. TINT your windows within the legal limit

2. on the blistering hot days leave your windows cracked just a smidge so that the heat does not build up so bad inside the car

finally, make sure your car is running the latest firmware available from Subaru

Mine turns off the AC when the coolant exceeds 227F. Here in Phoenix, with highs above 110F every F#@ing day that does happen to me on the highway now and then. It seems like when it's so hot out the radiator has trouble keeping up, even at 80mph and 3k rpm.

I'm planning to swap in an aftermarket radiator and see if that helps.

Wouldn't know what the coolant temp is because I have the MPG gauge, not a engine temp gauge (never fond of this logic from Subaru). When you swap out your radiator, let us know how that goes. Thx

Mine has no trouble cooling down and staying cold. Do you have auto climate control?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Yes, have auto climate control. Seems fine most of the time with the exception of the conditions I mentioned in my post.

the very first thing you need to do if someone has just added r134a to the system without drawing it down first is to:

1. recover all refrigerant from system

2. make SURE it holds a vacuum for at least 30 minutes

3. Recharge system to proper level

Next,

make sure that all of your blend doors are working properly

make sure your cabin air filter is clean

when you first turn on the car set it to recirculate

if you live somewhere where it is extremely hot this is what I would also do

1. TINT your windows within the legal limit

2. on the blistering hot days leave your windows cracked just a smidge so that the heat does not build up so bad inside the car

finally, make sure your car is running the latest firmware available from Subaru

I do have the max window tint allowed for FL. Good suggestions, thanks.

Along with standard window tint we had our windshields tinted with heat rejecting tint. Some shops use 3m air blue which we had done our tribeca and it worked pretty well, our tinter has a special nearly clear tint he uses.

Archived