LegacyGT.com

Stage "2.75" What to do until I get a tune...

Mortal2None

I finally took the plunge and the VF T/S "hybrid" (New VF36 w. 52 cover and 46/43 supporting parts) that I slapped together is finally installed. The motor has the turbo, TBE, (Catted) Perrin TMIC and inlet installed and currently has a COBB stg 2 91 5EAT map installed. (Running on 93 but I run the 91 map for "peace of mind") I was hoping the car would be done by this weekend so I could bring it to EFI or somewhere to get it tuned but I wount be getting the car back until tonight. (Hopefully) Should I run the car with an ECO WG boost only map and keep out of boost until I get the tune? Does anyone have a COBB tune laying around for a VF36 or 34 with LGT stock fueling? I will be also putting on a KS intake, Prodrive EBCS and 740 DW's when I am ready to tune or retune. ( I am thinking about ID1000's also) Also getting the 5EAT modified later this month with the TG kit. (Thanks LTColombo, SHTBoxer and Bryan for helping me out with various parts and hookups!)

EFI emailed me a safe map for my 20gxt/dw740/fmic/ebcs/etc setup so i could drive the car 3 hours to their shop. The car actually drove pretty decent on it, but i drove it like a grandma the whole time.

I would get it tuned at the dealer but they do (ECUTEK?) and I have a Cobb AP so I would rather stick with that. Also the dealer wants $650 for the road tune which sounds a bit on the pricey side. I heard EFI is doing a "summer special" for $250 or $350. (I have to find the email) Does anyone know of a tuner that uses a dynapack on or near Long Island NY? The only one i know of is Bren Tuning in MA but it's a 5 hour trip to there.

I am thinking Dynapack because I think it puts the least amount of stress on the drivetrain (Stock 5EAT) otherwise I have to wait until I mod the tranny. (Then I wont have enough for the tune) I ran into an unexpected $1K expense during the install so funds are a bit short right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

I have been running the ECO map for over a week now and the car is running very well. (Nice 5 MPG improvement over the old setup too) I have been datalogging on my COBB and I've slowly been giving it more and more throttle and letting her rev out a bit in 1st only and so far zero knock events and steady AFR's of 11.1 (stock narrowband though) and the car pulls harder @9PSI then it did @ 16PSI on 91 OCT stg 2 mapping. I don't get it is the ECU capable of "learning" over time? The car runs better then it did before the T/S installation. Or is it only because of the low 9PSI of boost that I can get away with it right now. I had more knock events running eco on the stock setup. Can I blow the engine with only 9PSI? (steady 11.1 AFR) I'm guessing knock will only occur in gears higher then first? (More load on the engine) Am I nuts for even giving it gas? I had never been more than 1/4 throttle until the other day when I hit it not thinking to avoid another car and now have been evaluating it further.

you're turbo flows better, so feeling power improvements at a lower psi than before is normal. However I'd be extremely cautious at driving it on even that amount of boost untuned. The ecu can add and pull timing with your previous tune, but your fuel trims are going to be off. If you wanted to be sure it was 100% safe, clamp a wideband on the exhaust pipe and look at it there, I wouldn't trust the stock one.

knock can occur nearly anytime, accel from a standstill, 1st gear, etc. post up a learning view why don't you

The factory sensor reads OK if you're out of boost. Something screws up the readings in boost. The leading theories are that it's a side-effect of exhaust gas backpressure, or maybe temperature.

If you move the factory sensor to the downpipe, you get pretty good readings - I did, and it's within about 3% of my wideband - but the stock sensor won't read lower than about 11.2. In theory you could tune that way to an AFR of 11.3-11.4 or so, but I don't know of anyone who has tried it yet.

Ran into a major issue while on vacation here in PA so i'll try to get some logs on the way home tomorrow. (If I make it) The custom oil line that the dealership made for me leaked and i thought I had a car fire. Patched it up tonight and hopefully it will get me 200 miles to home.

any luck on getting it tuned yet? If not i know it would be a haul to get there but I got tuned by Bren and read everything there is to on his services and its top notch! I know its a haul but maybe you can turn it into a mini vacation lol.

Still running the Cobb ecomap but its running awesome on it and I haven't ordered pump and injectors so I might wait a bit. He does good tunes from what I hear but its about a 4-5 hour trip. I also like the idea of the Dynopak Dyno.

I attached some logs that I took tonight. I keep getting massive boost spikes when the 5EAT shifts (up to 16PSI) so i'm quitting the logging and hard driving for now. These logs were 20 min drives after I built my homemade Process West TMIC splitter. I'm going to stop pushing my luck before I blow something up.

I had to rename the file to a CSV because it would not let me upload a zip file. Remove the .csv from the end. (datalog8.zip)

There appears to be no knock and I throw an occasional CEL that the bank is too rich so maybe COBB dumps extra fuel during boost conditions on the Eco map to ensure safety? The only thing I know about the COBB Eco map is that it runs on WG spring pressure (8PSI maximum in theory) with more timing and it did just that on the VF40. (8PSI) But with the VF36, I'm seeing as high as 16PSI. Any input is appreciated since I know nothing about tuning these cars. The car runs great though and it's addicting to hit the accelerator on the highway. (Must resist!!!)

I need to RTFM for all I know I might not be logging correctly.

datalog8.zip.csv

datalog7.zip.csv

the files shouldn't be zipped. you can upload a csv file, or hell, save it as an xls file then upload it.

I have a feeling your homemade splitter is leaking since your boost error is ginormous, did you boost leak test your system after setup? General consensus is that whenever you muck with an intercooler or pipes perform a leak test afterwards. Weren't you going to get tuned for the vf36? If I were you I'd have someone else tune it if you don't know what you're doing.

I would get it tuned at the dealer but they do (ECUTEK?) and I have a Cobb AP so I would rather stick with that. Also the dealer wants $650 for the road tune which sounds a bit on the pricey side. I heard EFI is doing a "summer special" for $250 or $350. (I have to find the email) Does anyone know of a tuner that uses a dynapack on or near Long Island NY? The only one i know of is Bren Tuning in MA but it's a 5 hour trip to there.

I am thinking Dynapack because I think it puts the least amount of stress on the drivetrain (Stock 5EAT) otherwise I have to wait until I mod the tranny. (Then I wont have enough for the tune) I ran into an unexpected $1K expense during the install so funds are a bit short right now.

Wait so, just to clarify, your Subie DEALERSHIP does tuning?!?! Wow, i wish that were the case here in Illinois...sounds kinda crazy and possibly opens the dealer up for warranty issues/other liability.

Wait so, just to clarify, your Subie DEALERSHIP does tuning?!?! Wow, i wish that were the case here in Illinois...sounds kinda crazy and possibly opens the dealer up for warranty issues/other liability.

Yup we have two here on L.I. that do tuning that I know of. North Coast even installed the T/S setup for me and gave me a new Legacy for a loaner for a week. Bill at North Coast only does ECUTek though but he is a master with it from what I have heard. I'm sticking with Cobb for now.

the files shouldn't be zipped. you can upload a csv file, or hell, save it as an xls file then upload it.

I have a feeling your homemade splitter is leaking since your boost error is ginormous, did you boost leak test your system after setup? General consensus is that whenever you muck with an intercooler or pipes perform a leak test afterwards. Weren't you going to get tuned for the vf36? If I were you I'd have someone else tune it if you don't know what you're doing.

It was too big as a csv or xls/xlsx so I had to zip them. I think I found the issue. (It's one of those "DUH" moments on my part) I also put a Perrin BOV on because my stocker was hitting the hood heatshielding and the Perrin is set on "hard". I dialed it all the way to "soft" and I'll see if that fixes the issue. I am planning on getting a tune ASAP but since the car is doing so well I'm not in a mad rush like I was before so I can be more picky as to who to use.

The main thing was that I was so sure the car would blow up If I gave it gas, I never hit more then 1/4 throttle for over a week untill I did to avoid a potentially bad situation. (Happens in NY a lot!) after no boom, I started getting really curious and logging to see what was happening and noticed on the narrow band AFR's are right where they need to be and no knocking and the car is very streetable at WG boost. I haven't done a leak/smoke test yet but I'm planning to get that done right before it goes on the dyno. Looks like i'm also picking up some 850cc DW injectors and an AVO pump to go along with the KSTech 73mm MAF. I should have more then enough headroom and plenty if I want to go with a Blouch XT-R T/S or something like that later. I'm just still in amazement that with the VF40 the car ran like crap on the eco mode map but it runs so well with the VF36.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got tuned today!

With stock fueling (I didn't get to put in my KSTech 73mm intake and DW 850cc injectors :( ) she made 330 ft lbs (2850 RPM) and 253.6 HP (5750RPM) and the 5EAT Automatic didn't blow up! (At least not today) Thanks to Dave Brown and Clark Turner who tuned it for me on the NoLimit MS dyno. Clark said once the injectors go in there's 30 WHP more on the table. (Ran out of injector which was expected with the 550cc stock SF's) I didn't make my goal of 300WHP but maybe after the 850's go in with some E85 magic pixie dust...

(I'm so pissed the KSTech intake didn't fit but oh well)

Archived