LegacyGT.com

The wife is trying to wear the pants!!

First of all, I can't tell you how kick-ass this site is! It has helped me tremendously and I don't even own a Legacy (yet). This is my first post, on any forum, and probably will be my most important one.

My wife and I have agreed on one thing: We are getting a LTD GT. She wants the wagon (auto) and I want the sedan (5MT).

Her reasons for the Wagon :

* she has a leased company car and can't put extra miles on it so trips and around town driving will be in the GT

* more room for her "stuff" and for the baby's "stuff" on trips (what about my stuff??)

* she is affraid of a 5MT (which I keep telling her I will teach her and it's easy)

My reasons:

* It will be MY car and I don't want to drive a wagon. Although, after test driving a wagon I must say it is a pretty sweet ride!! I might change my mind on the sedan if I can get the 5MT.

* A 5MT is much more fun to drive

* It will be MY car and I don't..... oops, I already said that.

As you can see, her reasons are much better than mine. Can anyone help me?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest clawdnb
she would destroy your brand new 5mt tranny if you get that and shes going to learn to drive a stick on it.....get her a neon to learn to drive a manual....go for the wagon since its a shared car and she cant properly drive the 5mt

she would destroy your brand new 5mt tranny if you get that and shes going to learn to drive a stick on it.....get her a neon to learn to drive a manual....go for the wagon since its a shared car and she cant properly drive the 5mt

no she won't. i learned how to drive a manual in about 30 minutes, and then went to testdrive many MANY cars without any problem.

Why don't you want to drive a wagon ? Is it an image thing or do you think they handle differently ? I have never driven the sedan so I can't comment how that drives but I can't imagine there is any difference.

If you hustle to the dealers you should be able to get a 2005 5MT wagon which is the ideal compromise, and once she learns to use the stick she won't want to go back.

Skillz,

If it's going to be *your* primary ride, you and your wife will have to work out, HONESTLY and WITHOUT MALICE, exactly how often she would likely *need* to drive your vehicle.

This is exacty how my wife and I arrived at my 5MT LGT after debating between an automatic WRX wagon w/goodie upgrades for me or the 5MT LGT with "wait as I go" upgrades.

I wanted the 5MT LGT as I truly enjoy rowing through the gears - my wife also cannot drive stick, which is why she wanted an automatic. After some thorough assessment of our needs, we realized that, realistically, the chances that she'd NEED to drive my vehicle is truly <5 %. After that, it became a no-brainer. Why should I have to compromise my enjoyment on a car that I'd be driving >95% of the time, especially as, truly, I'm the type of guy who enjoys only his car, forsaking all other hobbies, and am very low-maintenance in terms of all other expenses?

:)

Be HONEST to each other, and assess her need to drive your vehicle, logically.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Skillz,

If it's going to be *your* primary ride, you and your wife will have to work out, HONESTLY and WITHOUT MALICE, exactly how often she would likely *need* to drive your vehicle.

This is exacty how my wife and I arrived at my 5MT LGT after debating between an automatic WRX wagon w/goodie upgrades for me or the 5MT LGT with "wait as I go" upgrades.

I wanted the 5MT LGT as I truly enjoy rowing through the gears - my wife also cannot drive stick, which is why she wanted an automatic. After some thorough assessment of our needs, we realized that, realistically, the chances that she'd NEED to drive my vehicle is truly <5 %. After that, it became a no-brainer. Why should I have to compromise my enjoyment on a car that I'd be driving >95% of the time, especially as, truly, I'm the type of guy who enjoys only his car, forsaking all other hobbies, and am very low-maintenance in terms of all other expenses?

:)

Be HONEST to each other, and assess her need to drive your vehicle, logically.

-A

She won't drive it much except on the weekends when she goes to the mall or crap like that. She is more worried about out of town trips.

Guest clawdnb
A Legacy can't do this:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/boxxerace/down-the-mnt-BIG.jpg

why not? thats a pretty flat looking trail...im planning to take my Lgt in the mud and snow as soon as i find a good place to do it

I have the 5EAT, and I'm tellin you DO NOT GET THE AUTO.

The grass ain't greener, it is shity-a$$-crusty-dried-up-some-shade-of-brown. :lol:

OK...... so no auto. How do I get the sedan?

I would get the wagon over the sedan if I had to do it over again. My wife and I drove 1800 miles in my LGT sedan over the 4th of July weekend with our 3 and 4 year old. It was a much nicer ride than her SUV, but the space was limited, Thankfully the kids love their portable DVD players.

My wife disliked my previous manual trans cars but doesnt mind driving my LGT when she needs to, it is very easy to drive IMO.

OK...... so no auto. How do I get the sedan?

get the wagon.. if i were to do it over again i would have gotten the wagon instead.

Way more space inside, GIANT moonroof in the LTD, and you can actually put stuff in the back of it.

(the rear seats don't fold down on the sedan... makes big things hard to haul around town)

PLUS, the only downside is a few pounds extra weight,-- BUT at least that weight is on the rear of the car, giving you closer to a 50/50 difference between the front and back. handling and performance are all still the same. And the Wagon's look very menacing when slightly lowered with larger wheels.

and, it would be so cool to go to the track and kick ass in a wagon.

Archived