LegacyGT.com

ATF HP turns clear/amber color ?

Wheelbuilder_25

I changed the atf on my 09 legacy a bit early, is it normal for ATF-HP to turn clear/amber after 28000 miles ? The new atf-hp is as red as any atf I've seen. On the 97 Outback the Dexron looks dirty, but still red after 30k. This seems odd on the 09 i. It shifted fine before the change, and I don't see any junk in the old fluid.

• Moderators

I did a drain flush on mine right around 60k miles. I was recently messing around with the ATF system (69k miles now) and ended up with about 1/2 a cup of fluid in a cup and it was very dark. Definitely not clear/amber.

Prompted me to do another drain/fill plus I let the engine pump out another 5 quarts of old fluid, stopping to add new fluid every quart along the way (hope that makes sense...).

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I did find on one of the outback boards a couple posts that refer to a Subaru TechTIPS article that does say the ATF-HP changes to the clear/amber color in normal use. I don't have an account to double check it, but someone had quoted it there. (they said it was in the 09/07 edition). I'm not going to panic yet.

Archived