LegacyGT.com

would you buy this 2005 LGT wagon

legacygtnewb

Hello legacy members,

I just had a son and am looking for a larger vehicle, either a Forester or Legacy wagon or an Outback. I found this LGT and was wondering if this is a good deal considering the mileage and carfax. Anything I should check out when I inspect the car? How reliable are these turbo engines? Thank you!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=94351852&listingRecNum=20&criteria=sf1Dir%3DASC%26mkId%3D20041%26stkTyp%3DU%26bsId%3D20216%26mdId%3D21378%26rd%3D150%26mlgId%3D28860%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-bsId-mlgId%26zc%3D20906%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

Looks nice, I think the price is a bit high

Should be a good car, that's low milage.

Don't let them put a front plate on the clean bumper.

You'll need to keep up with 3500 oil changes to make the turbo last.

You'll want to get a catless up pipe over the next few years. Subaru removed them from the 07 +

Every thing you need to know about these cars is on this forum.

If you can get the price down, that would be a nice car.

Wow, I just did a KBB search for the car, I had no idea the resale was that high.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

so what price should i be shooting for? ive been reading in the 4th gen lgt section about the reliability of the lgt and it seems many members are having to rebuild turbos from 80-110k and various problems pop up here and there such as CEL. i dont have much money to be dishing out on repairs and need something solid reliable. i found a 2004 subaru forester 2.5x and looks great, i would think this would be a better option for a person who is having to take care of a small family?

That or a Honda.

My 05 was pretty reliable up till the turbo went at 142,000 miles. You need to keep up with the oil changes. There are members that have over 200k on there original turbo's.

Or look for a NA Legacy. They do ride better and have more interior room.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes.

Even though I'm partial to the 5MT, that is one clean 5EAT. Low miles, too.

I think the price is fine considering how much more I've seen similar cars go for. Color's rare too, but whether or not that's a positive or a negative is a matter of personal preference.

I say go for it.

• Moderators

I disagree that the price is fine. It's high.

That said, if I were selling my car I'd do the same and price it higher than I actually expected to get. The seller should expect people to haggle, but if they don't haggle he'll come out on top.

I basically paid $12.9k for my wagon ('05 5EAT with 54k miles and all dealer records, bone stock) back in September of 2011, for reference. I would look to pay about the same for the car you're looking at.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I disagree that the price is fine. It's high.

That said, if I were selling my car I'd do the same and price it higher than I actually expected to get. The seller should expect people to haggle, but if they don't haggle he'll come out on top.

I basically paid $12.9k for my wagon ('05 5EAT with 54k miles and all dealer records, bone stock) back in September of 2011, for reference. I would look to pay about the same for the car you're looking at.

That's kind of impressive.

I think the bargains are few and far between; most of the ones online are either super-low miles and super high price, or super high miles and around $10,000.

Of course, you always have that idiot trying to sell a 4EAT 2.5i Wagon with 50k miles for $20,000, but we ignore that guy hahaha.

Most cars priced around $14,000 have closer to 80k on them. Plus, the red one is exceptionally clean, at least from the pics in the ad. I think it's justified.

I personally would not buy an LGT without first getting the banjo bolts in the turbo oil line checked (sometimes they clog up and starve the turbo of oil and it goes kaput.) Also get the turbo itself checked for shaft play. That's what I learned, because regardless of apparent condition, the 2005's seem notorious for turbo failure. Get it checked before you buy and you'll be very happy!

That is way way high. I see low mileage 40-75k GT Wagons at the auction for $7500 - $9800.

Please point me to said auction or website.

I'm going to be in the market for one of these within the next couple of years, once I've pulled my cash together. I would love to scoop up a 5MT Limited wagon for under $10,000.

I own a dealership so this is the pricing I see looking at various auctions that I attend on a regular basis

Please point me to said auction or website.

I'm going to be in the market for one of these within the next couple of years, once I've pulled my cash together. I would love to scoop up a 5MT Limited wagon for under $10,000.

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

So I can build my 6.0L V8 Legacy GT Here

• I Donated Too

GRP wagon with black leather interior = yum. Still, I would haggle that to 12k. No doubt.

paid 15 + tax for my 05 legacy couple weeks ago. no regrets, came with accessport v2 too tho

:eek: Holy shit, you got raped! How many miles? 5k? lol

That accessport come with a flux capacitor?

Archived