LegacyGT.com

shell gasoline - worth the extra $$ ?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i seriously doubt it, but my gf is insistent that it is better. something about the nitrogen enrichment reducing engine gunk in the long-term. is it really better for my car?

hard to say really.

i had a car that would stall at lights. when i switched to a different station it was fine. both were top tier.

try them all see how it feels.

it is for mine.. I was tuned on shell 91 v-power, so that's what I run exclusively.

run whatever your fsm says to run, else if you're tuned on a particular gas, run whatever was in your tank when you got your tune.

Same. I run Shell 92 from the same station and the same pump, every fillup since the rebuild. Consistency, especially in gas, is key.

But wouldn't switching every few tanks help keep it clean with the different detergents used by each company. Few tanks on Shell then one on Chevron, or just dump techron in every so often.

Alternate between Shell 93 V Power and BP 93 Ultimate. None of my cars liked Sonoco or Wawa. Well I did use Sonoco when they had 94 octane back in the day.

As for gas adds, I used Chevron with Tech or Amsoil P.I.

I'm a 99% Chevron guy, but I'll compromise for Shell.

It's been hard for me to get solid information on gas, but clearly "top tier detergent gasoline" doesn't mean jack since Arco is apparently certified. I know someone who had a supercharged Blazer that literally wouldn't start on Arco. Had to drain the tank.

I've always questioned the quality of Costco gas since it's so cheap.

I'm gonna do more reading into the subject since I'm curious once again.

No.

The issue with fuel is generally age of fuel and tank maintenance.

A station with high volume is going to have fresher fuel. When it comes to 91+ a "name brand" station may have higher volume of 91 because of perceptions. When it comes to 87, I bet it is reversed.

A newer or better maintain station is more likely to maintain its tank better. Brand name stations tend to, but are not always, newer for whatever reason.

Most states only have a few sources of fuel and most cities only have 1 or 2. This means that chevron, shell, and the unbranded station very well might have had the fuel delivered from the same refinery, and maybe the same truck.

There is some difference in additives, but that isn't something that would be noticeable in the short term as they're more about cleaning

Anecdotes tell you more about your local station or station chain owners than the brand.

I generally buy whatever gas is cheapest, from a high volume, name brand station. Around here, that means I generally use Cumberland Farms, Mobil, Shell, Valero, Gulf, BJ's, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple other stations.

As far as cleaning and such.. I wouldn't count on the gas doing any cleaning. I think the best you can hope for is that the gas will help keep things the way they are, but I don't think any gas will reverse any gunk that has built up.

I typically run a bottle of Red Line SI-1 every 15k-20k or so, which I think is especially important since my car consumes oil.

I use Shell 93 V Power as well. Worth the Money? That is open for debate. :lol: There seem to be so many varying prices from station to station.

Two shell stations in my town and a 30¢ difference in 93 V Power.

I've been drawn in by significantly lower prices for 93 octane at other(suspect) stations on occasion, but come to find out quickly that it's shitty gas and doesn't agree with the car so well.

Been putting Shell in since I bought the car and plan on staying that way.

Most stations in the same area will get their gas from the same refinery or pumping station. Different brands have different additives that are added at the mixing tank. This means that 93 octane gasoline at BJ's/Shell/BP/etc. in the same city is the same, but with additives/detergents that meet the vendor specification. Getting fresh, clean/filtered, non-contaminated fuel is more important than which brand you buy. 93 octane gasoline is 93 octane gasoline - it meets the same spec. There are some differences in processed fuel depending on where the crude was sourced, namely sulfur content.

Most fuel in the US is pumped via pipelines. For example, Texas to New Jersey gets fuel (kerosene, JET-A, diesel, fuel oil, gasoline) out of one pipeline with the fuels sharing the same pipes. This is the most efficient way to transport fuel, especially to airports. There are several refineries which pump their processed fuel into the pipeline and it is distributed to various pumping stations and tanks along the way. The fuel is pumped in slugs which are identified and sorted by density when they arrive at their destination.

No cheveron or Shell where i live.

Stewarts gas is bad.

Mobil. the local gulf and rest stops on the highway. one full service, highway rest stops are going to have the freshest due to the amount of use.

Main thing is if you question a place get an octane booster like race gas. Run stuff like Royle purple fuel system cleaner every 10k or so. If you race it. throw a couple gallons of 100oct unleaded in it.

70k miles of daily boost. still pulls stg2+ protune for 40k 30+ trips down the drag strip.

Last time i filled up at shell i drove in perfectly fine and left in limp mode with a CEL. literally as soon as I turned on the car my dash lit up like a star trek console.

Now I only go to other "name brand" stations which seem to be working perfectly fine. Just avoid the "patriot petrol" and "freedom fill-up" stations

Last time i filled up at shell i drove in perfectly fine and left in limp mode with a CEL. literally as soon as I turned on the car my dash lit up like a star trek console.

Now I only go to other "name brand" stations which seem to be working perfectly fine. Just avoid the "patriot petrol" and "freedom fill-up" stations

And here is why these kinds of questions are, IMO, essentially worthless. The responses will be all over the board. You get people who love a particular brand and will use nothing else. Then you have people, such as yourself, who will have a negative experience (though I doubt the gas caused your problem unless there was a problem with the gas at that particular station) and will never use a particular brand of gas again.

And here is why these kinds of questions are, IMO, essentially worthless. The responses will be all over the board. You get people who love a particular brand and will use nothing else. Then you have people, such as yourself, who will have a negative experience (though I doubt the gas caused your problem unless there was a problem with the gas at that particular station) and will never use a particular brand of gas again.

Im not blaming the gas and I have used shell again, just not at that station and not regularly. I dont know what caused my issue, but the coincidence that this occurred right after i filled up at this particular station has left a bad taste in my mouth

Archived