LegacyGT.com

40 dollar ebay strut tower bar?

Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone has had experience with this cheap ebay strut tower bar. I can't imagine it'll be drastically different than a more usual-priced (like 100-150 dollar such as the gt.spec or cusco) one considering it's just a single piece of aluminum haha. any info is greatly appreciated, thanks!

link here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Flat-Type-Strut-Tower-Upper-Bar-Front-Subaru-LEGACY-05-09-BL9-BP9-/400419060011?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2009%7CMake%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ALegacy&hash=item5d3ad5f92b&vxp=mtr

in my experience cheap things from ebay don't usually fit right. and with a strut tower bar that matters. and if I understand it correctly, they don't really increase chasis stiffness on these cars.

yeah I've read that too but a buddy of mine has a 2.5i like mine and the way it handles the curvy hairpin turns on mtn roads where I live is definitely different than mine does stock, not sure how to explain it but it feels firmer.

I think I'll probably go for it since it's so cheap and is returnable unless anyone knows it won't fit or something else that could go wrong. thanks!

On some cars, a strut tower could make a difference. An ebay strut tower was my first mod. It fit fine, but the brackets are made of cheaper and thinner metal than the expensive ones. Not that it matters since the front shock towers are virtually integral with the firewall. But it's still on my car for some reason.

I have that bar. The strut brackets take a little finesse to install. May need to pry slightly to line up, but as you can see from the pic, it fits. Not bad for a little low cost bling.

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.a70e00be7ff9eb26cfd618c247e5350e.JPG

VF-52 and all associated bits tuned by Tuning Alliance.

:cool:

yeah I've read that too but a buddy of mine has a 2.5i like mine and the way it handles the curvy hairpin turns on mtn roads where I live is definitely different than mine does stock, not sure how to explain it but it feels firmer.

I think I'll probably go for it since it's so cheap and is returnable unless anyone knows it won't fit or something else that could go wrong. thanks!

His car is lighter and slower, so it feels faster in the turns.

Buy it for looks, because it sure as heck isn't actually stiffening anything. Most strut bars don't. The chassis doesn't flex there. The ebay one probably won't fit well either.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

He could simply have stiffer tires than you, it makes a big difference. But, I'm still with the "if you like it, buy it" it certainly isn't going to "hurt" your car unless it rubs on the hood. I always bought one for my different cars for fun, but when I had the Evo you could see how seriously built that one was in comparison. Heck if I had $40 burning a hole in my pocket I would buy it for fun. Shit, I just bought a delrin shift knob for my 5EAT because I just finally couldn't stand seeing the scuff mark on the leather knob I have had for years and years :)

Archived