LegacyGT.com

For 2011 Outback Owners

tdoggydog

Hey guys - so my wife is preggers (yeah!). This means we're on the market for picking up a 2012 Outback. I know I'll go fully loaded, but the question I have is about the nav. Would it be worth it to:

1) Get the stock nav and be done?

or

2) Get the fully loaded without the nav and have an aftermarket installed?

Pros? Cons?

Thanks in advance!

First Congrats on the great news, secondly in my opinion if you need detailed accuracy go after market. It has been found that the factory nav in no way is worth the cost. On the other hand trying to incorporate an after market unit to look factory is expensive. My feeling get it fully loaded, then buy yourself a Garmin. :)
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

I have the Nav. You can't beat the OEM integration, clean look and 8" screen. I'll admit it's not perfect, but I don't have the time or inclination to do an aftermarket setup and make it look clean and get all the steering wheel controls to sync.

LMK if you have any questions.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

We have a 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited, no Nav. We bought a portable nav off Woot (TomTom), and use it maybe once a month. If I needed NAV on a regular basis, it would be nice to have it integrated into the car. Depends on how much you'll use it.

Play around with the aftermarket stereos at your local Best Buy or audio dealer and get a feel for the interface before making your decision. I've been toying with the idea of replacing my stereo but have been disappointed in all the aftermarket units I've seen - not in terms of features but in usability. YMMV.

Thanks for the congrats and the honest info about nav vs. no nav. I was leaning towards nav just for the sleek setup, but didn't know if it's worth it to skip it and go aftermarket. With my current Legacy, I learned that I was stuck with the stock nav unless I wanted a RHD setup (which I don't) for aftermarket. Good to know.

My wife is stoked on her upcoming car. I had a base model as a loaner during my 60K service and it was pretty awesome (though we'll definitely be getting the 3.6R). I can just imagine taking that thing through the snow - my Legacy does great, but I do have to stress about clearance.

All in all, thanks again!

Archived