LegacyGT.com

Installation of iPOD on FM Modulator

frantic

Hi - based on posts in this forum I decided to have an FM modulator installed on my new '05 Outback 3.0. Here's some of the details (note that I'm not technically oreinted).

- Found a auto stereo dealer who claimed that they've installed a half dozen per week. Seemed very knowledgable. I called about 5 or so here in the bay area and I got blank stares from some. I went with Auto Symphony in San Francisco

- They immediately recommended an FM Modulator ($50) given that my stereo has no audio input. The installation was fairly straightforward except that they had to splice into the antenna. They wanted to avoid touching the radio to preserve the warranty. They tried to find adaptors for the antenna and were told that none are available

- They also installed power for the ipod via Belkins power unit connected behind the dash

- Finally they installed a switch (on side panel by my right leg)

- Cost for ipod install $250

Here's how it works:

- a line from the modulator connects to the headphone input on the ipod

- a line from Belkin power cord connects to the ipod dock. They did not recommend that the modulator input go into the power dock directly because of engine noise.

- I tune to a preset station

- I flip the switch up (which clears up the static)

Results: Sounds much better than the FM Transmitter. Some static and noise especially when a song first starts (I plan to go back and see what we can do). Volume lower than radio.

BTW, I also installed new speakers in the front (Concept 6 in speakers). The front factory speakers had a paper cone and a smaller magnet). Sounds great.

Well, I found the best solution was to use the dock connector for audio but not power. The iPod's headphone jack has a fair amount of distortion at the levels required for true line-level and will not sound the best. The line-out in the dock connector is a lot clearer and has higher power.

I use the iPod in the car with the dock connector going to the FM modulator (I made a custom connector for this). No power goes to the iPod when playing audio. I normally just use it in the car without power, and then charge it in the dock at home at night.

On long trips, I would bring my Belkin auto kit for sound with power through the dock connector, and just live with a little engine noise.

Craig

Well, I found the best solution was to use the dock connector for audio but not power. The iPod's headphone jack has a fair amount of distortion at the levels required for true line-level and will not sound the best. The line-out in the dock connector is a lot clearer and has higher power.

I use the iPod in the car with the dock connector going to the FM modulator (I made a custom connector for this).

Do you use the dock that comes with the iPod or some kind of car dock?

If you use the standard iPod dock, is it secure enough that the iPod doesn't "fly" during spirited driving/braking/accelerating ? (It is so easily possible in a LGT...)

I dunno if this will help people or not, but after a lot of research I found that most people complain that the belkin iPod auto adapter has a fair bit of noise off the line out.

I found that Monster makes a similar unit that moves the line out off the power plug and puts it on the iPod connector.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=55-998-007&depa=0

In theory it should reduce the noise. It was $30 at newegg.com. I'll let you know how well it works.

It also has some LEDs to let you know how charged the iPod is.

I'm going to be hooking it up with a mini jack to RCA cable to my Kenwood stereo. Just in case you're wondering, I own an impreza, not a legacy. Should work with an FM modulator too.

Do you use the dock that comes with the iPod or some kind of car dock?

If you use the standard iPod dock, is it secure enough that the iPod doesn't "fly" during spirited driving/braking/accelerating ? (It is so easily possible in a LGT...)

I used the standard dock in my WRX, but it was a little wobbly. In my 05 Outback, I am just using a dock cable.

Craig

I dunno if this will help people or not, but after a lot of research I found that most people complain that the belkin iPod auto adapter has a fair bit of noise off the line out.

I found that Monster makes a similar unit that moves the line out off the power plug and puts it on the iPod connector.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=55-998-007&depa=0

In theory it should reduce the noise. It was $30 at newegg.com. I'll let you know how well it works.

It also has some LEDs to let you know how charged the iPod is.

I'm going to be hooking it up with a mini jack to RCA cable to my Kenwood stereo. Just in case you're wondering, I own an impreza, not a legacy. Should work with an FM modulator too.

The Belkin auto kit adds noise because it is actually amplifying the dock's line out to allow fine tuning of the sound levels. They use a pretty basic/cheap amp.

I modified the guts of the Belkin auto kit to bypass the amp and it sounds very clean. It would be nice if they had a switch to do that!

Craig

The Belkin auto kit adds noise because it is actually amplifying the dock's line out to allow fine tuning of the sound levels. They use a pretty basic/cheap amp.

I noticed the Monster Cable unit doesn't have any volume adjustment on it. Whether or not that is a good thing has yet to be seen. I'm waiting for a semi warm day up here in NY.

I might be waiting for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived