LegacyGT.com

blown head gasket

so i took my car to the subaru dealership today and it turns out i have a blown head gasket. my car was in a front end accident a while ago and a body shop repaired it (new radiator, there was a leak). after driving it a few times after, it started overheating. i drove it home but the temp gauge never went into red. i have a feeling i'm going to have a hard time pinning this on the auto body shop, even though it seems like there's no way to know when the gasket blew. the dealer says exhaust is leaking into the coolant.

any suggestions?

How much damage was done to the front end? Once a car overheats, usually the head becomes warped and you start leaking gases from the combustion chamber into the coolant. I didn't see if your car was the turbo model or not but the pressure is even greater in a forced induction motor so it would be more likely you would blow a head gasket. Did the car overheat after the radiator was replaced? If so then i would say the body shop is responsible.

the front end didn't get pushed in too bad, but it was leaking coolant after the accident. it is a turbo model. yes the car overheated after the radiator was placed -- but not immediately. it was probably after driving it four or five times, maybe 5 or 6 hours total?

The autobody shop is not at fault. If you feel it is from the accident you need to take it up with your insurance company. But I doubt that this is from the accident. I ran into a similar situation, ran over a deer, 5.5k in damage, then I spun a bearing a week after I go the car back. Just a coincidence but shit happens.
[

The autobody shop is not at fault. If you feel it is from the accident you need to take it up with your insurance company. But I doubt that this is from the accident. I ran into a similar situation, ran over a deer, 5.5k in damage, then I spun a bearing a week after I go the car back. Just a coincidence but shit happens.

you are just one lucky guy :lol:

I would agree that it is not the autobody shops fault although they should have verified that no other damage had been done to the engine due to the radiator leak. The insurance companies adjuster should have put a provision in there for possible damage to the engine due to over heating. IMHO I think the blown head gasket is due to the overheating which was cause by the radiator leak. They are too closely related to be coincidence.

Archived