LegacyGT.com

Koni cut-n-gut shock install

Hey all,

I just finished installing Koni shocks on my 05 LGT wagon. I did not see any walk-thrus on the site, so I posted my pics on FB.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/album.php?aid=30932&id=1544025094

Please note, this is not a step-by-step on how to remove/disassemble/reassemble/install shocks, rather, it is intended to help clarify the specific steps needed to install the Koni strut inserts into the front struts.

I will say that it was a bit of a PITA, but certainly doable. There are no special tools needed aside from a hacksaw and a good metal drill bit selection. Air tools are highly recommended. And some patience! This is not a fast job if you want them done right.

However, the time was totally worth it. The car is simply transformed by these shocks! I have Ion springs, and with the stock shocks, the car floated and bobbed like a canoe in a hurricane. Now, it drives like a proper sport sedan: firm, controlled and predictable.

-Paul

I have them set one turn from full soft. The ride is significantly more firm. I like it. The wife likes it most of the time, but there are a few rough patches and frost heaves in town that do feel pretty sharp. I haven't tried them at different settings yet. The tradeoff for the increase in impact harshness is a car that feels more German sport sedan than American luxo-barge. Worth it.

I just installed mine this weekend too. Had them 1 turn front and 1.5 turns rear but it was too stiif, so I backed it down to 1/2 turn front, 1 turn rear.

I see you put a piece of tape around the strut like I did. This was good for getting a straight cut all around with a hacksaw. Also you put the rubber boot all the way down on top of the old strut housing. I slid mine up it so it sat in the groove on top of the insert.

See my post here for pics: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120552

Hey devobuzz,

How do you like them at those shock settings? I might turn mine down to see if the ride smooths out at all.

I don't think it matters much exactly where the rubber boot ends up, as the stock dust boot covers that whole area. I just went with the instructions pics. It's not like any dirt that does get in there will do any harm.

How long do it take you to do the install? I was doing SS lines at the same time, and the 4 rear lines put up a big fight, which took up many hours. I spent the better part of 2 days on the car.

-Paul

I like it better softer. It was just too stiff.

I did the install over the course of 2 days but total time was about 4 hours. I screwed up putting the washer in the wrong spot on the front strut, so i hade to take it out and disassemble it again.

• 1 month later...
hey i dont have facebook, do you mind emailing the pix to me?

It's quite a few big images.

You should be able to view my facebook album with this "public link", even if you do not have Facebook yourself:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=30932&id=1544025094&l=16e0bceb58

Let me know if it works.

I got them from Crucial Racing, an LGT vendor, for $645 shipped.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80721

8610 1447 Fronts

8010 1053 Rears

I presume they would lower your Outback by several inches. probably won't work with the stock tires (not to mention the suspension geometry would be all a higgledy piggledy). I do remember something about the last generation Legacy Outback having spacer blocks between the body and subframe, take them out and change to the LGT struts and it would be mostly correct. I don't know if the same is true of the 05+ Outback. You would have to figure out where to cut the front struts yourself, the directions are for the shorter LGT struts.

I got them from Crucial Racing, an LGT vendor, for $645 shipped.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80721

8610 1447 Fronts

8010 1053 Rears

I presume they would lower your Outback by several inches. probably won't work with the stock tires (not to mention the suspension geometry would be all a higgledy piggledy). I do remember something about the last generation Legacy Outback having spacer blocks between the body and subframe, take them out and change to the LGT struts and it would be mostly correct. I don't know if the same is true of the 05+ Outback. You would have to figure out where to cut the front struts yourself, the directions are for the shorter LGT struts.

Thanks, appreciate the insight as I look for options for the Outback..

Thanks' date=' appreciate the insight as I look for options for the Outback..[/quote']

You would have to get regular struts for the front to place the konis in, the outback struts are too long for the inserts

Rear are simple replacements

Thanks' date=' appreciate the insight as I look for options for the Outback..[/quote']

The thought occurs now that the 2.5 might have different hubs from the GT. I don't know if they do, or if the shock mounting is any different, just some more stuff for you to figure out! :)

• 9 months later...

Hi, do you need anything else besides the konis and the front legacy struts?

i know the Bilstein HDs require spec B top hats, but have not heard anything similar for the Konis.

thanks

Julian,

Hi, do you need anything else besides the konis and the front legacy struts?

i know the Bilstein HDs require spec B top hats, but have not heard anything similar for the Konis.

thanks

Julian,

Nope, the Konis use the stock strut hats. Nothing else to buy.

-Paul

• 1 year later...

Archived