LegacyGT.com

Holy crap...

I drove my car to the bar tonight (it was snowing hard here and no cabs around), but I drank a bit too much and there was no way I was driving out of there. So, to make a long story short, I let a girlfriend of mine drive it home after last call and.... god damn! She owns a stick shift Saab, but she beat the ever living hell out of my clutch. Twice she brought it up to about 5k rpms and then SLOWLY let the clutch out :eek: Ive had the clutch stink issue, and have been very good about getting around it with proper driving, but wow! Ive never smelled something so wretched in my life. Whats the deal.. think I should be concerned, or is something like that that happens almost never nothing to be worried about?

What she did is simliar to when you redline the car. It isn't something you would want to do every day and every time you drive, but doing it every now and then won't kill the car or cause major damages. But wow! 5k rpm and letting the clutch how slowly? How long has she been driving stick?

As long as its not done too much, you should be alright.

I had the same thing happen to me right after i first got the car. Had it at like 5k+ and i had some music on, so i couldn't hear anything, when i finally realized it, the stink was every where. The gas pedal can be touchy if you aren't used to it, thats for sure. Especially if you are used to a somewhat heavy pedal.

Seems obvious. Subaru designed in the "stink" as an olfactory negative reinforcement device.

"In Negative Reinforcement a particular behavior is strengthened by the consequence of the stopping or avoiding of a negative condition."

The less you abuse the clutch, the fewer people demanding replacement under warranty.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I can't imagine being drunk and smelling the clutch stink. If it were in my car, it'd be a good thing the interior is leather.

This may be due to her being used to her old Saab which may have a harder clutch take up.... or rather abrupt clutch take up. Old 911s and VWs are notorious for abrupt clutch take ups. So you gotta feather them and when you get on a new car like, the habits tend to go along for a bit until you get used to how smooth clutches are these days compared to the days of old.

This may be due to her being used to her old Saab which may have a harder clutch take up.... or rather abrupt clutch take up. Old 911s and VWs are notorious for abrupt clutch take ups. So you gotta feather them and when you get on a new car like, the habits tend to go along for a bit until you get used to how smooth clutches are these days compared to the days of old.

exactly what i was thinking -- but still, feathering it out from 5k rpm.. damn.

Yeah I don't drive drunk so that wasn't even in the cards. She actually wasnt a bad driver, it was just those one or two times right when she first backed out of the spot and when she tried to start on a hill. No more driving to the bar for me, its pretty pathetic how Maryland actually shuts down when it snows though. Anyways, thanks for the replies fellas, I appreciate it. :)

I've got 7k on mine and the stench still comes around even with normal (and even veeery gentle) driving. I've referred to it as the "puke in the air vents" smell. So if you do boot in the car, you won't notice the difference until the next day!

I wouldn't worry about damage though.

Cheers,

-Max

speaking about heavy clutches, you are very correct about the early 911's my dad has a 72 911T and its almost like there is no clutch, about 3/4s of the way out it just HITS and its all the way out, you sorta have to well "feather" it push it in and out a bit just at that spot to get a good shift. Hard to drive.

Yeah, I'm used to heavy clutches, the M3 took a bit of getting used to. But I never burned the clutch in that car once. I don't mind the smell as long as it goes away, but its the prospect of doing damage to the car that seriously bothers me. I don't like having to think about making sure I'm not messing it up every time I drive it you know?

In defense of the guy's g/f, my previous car was a Saab 900 (MT) and that and the Legacy couldn't be more different in the way they shift. My 900 had a very stiff clutch that you had to push all the way to the floor for clean shifting. The gas pedal required a lot of foot pressure to get the throttle to react. That taught me to work both pedals pretty hard which is just the opposite of what seems to work with the Legacy.

So, for what it's worth, she's probably a more competent driver than some of y'all are thinking. Especially if the Legacy isn't her every day car I could see where she would have some trouble with it.

Take a taxi and pick the car up the next day next time? :redface:

Sorry to hear that man. But hey, your clutch is broken in now. I'm sure it'll be ok.

Yeah I would have never driven to the bar in the first place if cabs were available. Maryland literally shuts down when it snows, its really weird being from NY.

And thanks for the defense jaycee! Shes not my girlfriend though, just a pal helping me and a few buddies out. I have no clue if shes a good driver, but you lose a bit of judgement when youve had a few:lol:

Glad you chose not to drive after drinking and that you and your car got home safe. Don't imagine the clutch suffered any damage and will be just fine.

On another note - I've edited several posts in this thread which were demeaning and inappropriate. Please watch the use of derogatory comments and "quoting" other's posts which contain these types of comments.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived