LegacyGT.com

Looking to install TSK3 - Need your Feedback

Mr-C

Hey everyone,

To make a long story short....I bought a TSK3 kit + Bully Stage 2 clutch.

I'm looking to install everything in the near future and looking for some of your feedback from those who have installed it. Info such as any issues since the install? Any issues during the install? And would you recommend this "upgrade".

Oh yeah, I must also add that I also have an ACT light flywheel as well.

I've hurd here and there of issues people have had with installing this kit....mainly some issues with the clutch engagement. I just wana get my facts straight before starting the job....I really don't feel like having to take off the tranny multiple times for issues that could have been avoided.

Thanks everyone !!

Do you have a Torx Plus t+50 bit to remove the old flywheel ?

What fluid do you plan on putting back in the tranny ?

Do you have torque wrenches ?

Big pry bars to pry the tranny off the engine?

Anti-sieze compound for all the threads before you re-assemble ?

Do you have the service manual in case you need it ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Mega Users

i have never done it, but it does not seem like a complicated job at all. there is a sweet video on youtube that shows you how to get the tranny off or slid back so you can work in there.

I think the biggest concern is gathering all the tools you need to do the job, as max capacity nicely listed for you.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Just installed my new FX300 clutch today with the TSK3 and I'm very satisfied.

Installing the TSK3 was easy.. Simply sand the transmission snout lightly, slide the oversized sleeve on and screw it down with the little allen inserts they supply. Lube the sleeve and inside of the Release Bearing and you're good to go. :)

I installed a SMFW - not a lightweight, I have absolutely zero complaints so far, although I've only drove it for 20 miles. No Chatter, pedal is super light, engaging reverse, first, and every other gear is butter.

• Mega Users
Just installed my new FX300 clutch today with the TSK3 and I'm very satisfied.

Installing the TSK3 was easy.. Simply sand the transmission snout lightly, slide the oversized sleeve on and screw it down with the little allen inserts they supply. Lube the sleeve and inside of the Release Bearing and you're good to go. :)

I installed a SMFW - not a lightweight, I have absolutely zero complaints so far, although I've only drove it for 20 miles. No Chatter, pedal is super light, engaging reverse, first, and every other gear is butter.

Dude, u have a sick stack of wheeled machines

Thanks for the feedback y'all !!

I do/should have all the necessary tools and ressources to get the job done....my bro is a mecanic for Subaru :)

As for the tranny oil.....that's a good question, I was thinking of changing it while I'm there but not sure if I should go OEM, Castrol, etc.

Any suggestions ?

• Mega Users
Thanks for the feedback y'all !!

I do/should have all the necessary tools and ressources to get the job done....my bro is a mecanic for Subaru :)

As for the tranny oil.....that's a good question, I was thinking of changing it while I'm there but not sure if I should go OEM, Castrol, etc.

Any suggestions ?

Best option 1

3 quarts of Motul 75w90 mixed with 1 quart of redline lightweight schockproof in the tranny, and get another quart of the Motul for the rear.

Best option 2

Subaru Extra-S front and rear

Thanks,

Option 1 seems alot like the "Scotty Mix"......I had that in my old GC and loved it, no issues what so ever, was thinking of going with that option also.

My bro works for Subaru so I'll ask him for a quote for the Subaru Extra-S

Thanks !! ;)

Thanks,

Option 1 seems alot like the "Scotty Mix"......I had that in my old GC and loved it, no issues what so ever, was thinking of going with that option also.

My bro works for Subaru so I'll ask him for a quote for the Subaru Extra-S

Thanks !! ;)

I'm pretty sure Subaru sells Extra-S strictly in a 5-Gallon container or something significantly more than we need for a one time change. :spin:

Infamous & Fred Beans Parts both buy in bulk and resell by the quart though if your bro can't hook you up.

Be careful with the scotty mix:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=676363&postcount=2

That is just one of many posts i have seen talking about how it wears on the baulk gears.

I am currently using extra s bought from fred beans with no complaints but i will be trying valvoline synpower 75w90 in my 60k.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Best option 1

3 quarts of Motul 75w90 mixed with 1 quart of redline lightweight schockproof in the tranny, and get another quart of the Motul for the rear.

Best option 2

Subaru Extra-S front and rear

That's backwards, it's 3 redline lightweight shockproof to 1 Motul for the tranny.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

BAC5.2 recommends the cocktail. If anyone, you can trust him. He kind of has a good idea of what the inside of a transmission looks like, trust me on that one.

When he say's you can use the redline and motul go ahead.

Yes, that has been on here a lot. Redline lightweight shockproof.

Also to get all the 3.7qts out you need to jack up the back of the car so all the fluid drains out of the tail shaft.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

Need some additional feedback.

I recently changed my clutch for a Bully Stage 2, I also have an ACT light flywheel + also installed the TSK3 kit.

Overall everything seems to be running %100 however i did notice that now I have a whinning/squealing sound almost as though I had a supercharger or something?? LOL

The noise/sound is much more present after cold start mostly when in 1st gear or reverse.....should I be concerned or is this something we would consider "normal" with the TOB that's provided with the TSK kit ?

thanks

LWFW, weclome to the bucket of rocks tranny.

I have a low whine most of the time, I also have the TB whine on the highway with the radio off.

If you lift off the throttle going down hill in gear, you'll learn to push in the clutch, put it on neutral and coast.

LWFW, weclome to the bucket of rocks tranny.

This. I just went back to an OEM flywheel after running the ACT Streetlite. While I thoroughly enjoyed the improved response and ease of downshift rev matching with the LWFW, I won't miss needing to explain that my car just sounds like that and the transmission isn't actually broken.

Edit: I've had the TSK3 kit in for both flywheels. There's a good chance whatever you're hearing is related to the LWFW as opposed to TOB. I got some "whine" (not gear whine) after installing a new transmission mount and crossmember bushings. It's amazing how much noise these things make that just doesn't make it to the cabin in a stock configuration.

I'm just used to the chatter, fun decel noises by now. To each his own, I currently have a comp clutch stg 3.5 clutch package (comp LWFW) in with a tsk3 (previous clutch was an ACT HDSS with streetlite). Still get decel chatter, but I know I definitely need to do my motor mounts. Going to introduce some additional drivetrain nvh b/c I think I'm going to swap over to Group N motor mounts. Booyah for a container of shaking rocks sound effect!

Thanks folks,

I'm glad that I wont need to take everything appart again for essentially nothing.

I had A LOT more chatter before installing the TSK3 but was just concerned about the whinning noise I was now hearing that wasn't there before.

I'll tough it out like this....I'm pretty patient, took me over 2yrs to finally install the TSK. LOL

;)

• 1 year later...
So were the whining noises you were hearing also caused by the TSK3? Is the TSK3 necessary?

The TSK3 is recommended because the stock set up is less then perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
How recommended? I'll be installing the exedy swfw and oemish clutch soon. I don't really hear any tob noise, so I'm leaning towards not buying it and saving $160. I also don't want to get into the project and realize I definitely need it. 05 with 179k miles.

If your not hearing anything, I'd make sure the snout on the tranny gets a nice coating of grease and spend time making sure the TOB slides nicely on it before I bolted the tranny up.

I wish I had looked at mine more closely when I had the engine out two years ago. I have the kit. had it installed back in 2010. But never looked closly at the set up. I know I had Mike at AZPinstalls.com get me the correct TOB for the kit when I put the Spec 2 clutch on. I seem to recall it had a bigger ID then the TOB that came with the clutch.

Archived