LegacyGT.com

Stick with 2.5i or trade to LGT?

Hey everyone

I've been on the boards for a while. I got a 2006 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT in June. It currently has about 120,000 on it. It's a fantastic car, I love the base model in the sense that swapping out the head unit was easy. And it also came with awesome seats :lol:

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp186/dannymac128/2006%20Subaru%20Legacy%20Special%20Edition/IMG_0092.jpg

There's only one thing that the car is missing......a turbo.

A Legacy GT, wagon or sedan, with a 5 speed is really like my "dream car." I test drove one recently, and that turbo pull has me hooked and I can't stop thinking about it. I wouldn't be able to upgrade my stereo as easily, or have my nice seats lol, a bit pricier to insure and drive, but I'd have the powerful car that I've always wanted (and really need at times).

So, I was wondering if you think it'd be worth it to trade my car for a similar mileage LGT and go with the power, along with pricier gas and insurance but less stereo options? or stick with the 2.5i because of the more easily modded stereo and the seats and cheaper insurance and gas, but really be wishing that turbo would kick in around 3k rpms? lol

I'm not like dead-set on doing anything, and I don't have a particular car in mind that I'm interested, I'm just curious as to what others would do in a similar situation if something good were to come up. Sorry for rambling, I realize this might be a useless post :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone!

You could get a LGT unlimited. It comes with manual AC controls and all of your stuff can just be swapped. Or you could get the limited and get the JDM double DIN. Then you can install your HU. It's up to you.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

if you can afford it, then go for it, keep in mind the

premium fuel,

low MPG

turbo failure

insurance cost

need more frequent oil change...

omg.. I'm tired of typing these in threads like this, they pop up everyday, PLEASE RESEARCH, I'm sure this has been asking 1000000000000 times before:spin:

You could get a LGT unlimited. It comes with manual AC controls and all of your stuff can just be swapped. Or you could get the limited and get the JDM double DIN. Then you can install your HU. It's up to you.

If he gets a LGT he should def COPY your exhaust setup ;)

When I switched from a 2003 Grand am to the 2005 LGT the insurance stayed the same...?

I went from a 97 GA GT with a LD9 and the QUAD 4 cam swap to a 2009 2.5i SE 5MT insurance went from $102 -> $83

Quoted the LGT insurance goes from $83 -> $83 but the gas goes from $48 a fill up to $60

I have wanted for a LGT since I signed the papers on the 2.5i If i could go back i would have never bought the 2.5i period and waited for the LGT lol.

So now im at the point were I could sell out right and go after the LGT but I sorta want a SpecB in GRP. I figure once I get a LGT ill be done and since ive waited 6 years for one I ought to get the cream corn,...wait cream of the crop.

haha, thanks for all the replies everyone.

I actually want to look into what the difference in insurance would be. If it's not a big difference(or virtually no difference, like some have said), that would be a big factor since I assumed it would be a big difference having a turbo and all.

itsme, I was under the impression that all LGTs had auto HVAC controls, not just the Limiteds? If unlimiteds have manual controls, that'd be another bonus! I love having a sunroof as well, idk if unlimiteds could have the sunroof option without being bumped up to the limited? That's not a deciding factor by any means though.

I do love my seats haha. They seemed more comfortable than the plain cloth seats in the LGT I test drove as well, so that'd be a tough thing to give up. Like I said, I'm not set on anything, I don't have a car that I'm looking to trade for, I just saw one at a local dealership (actually got sold as I pulled in the lot but I asked for a test drive anyway :lol:) and it got me to thinking about it since I've always liked having that extra power when needed.

I love manual HVAC. Easy to use, no frills, just functional. Less to go wrong. Sunroof isn't a necessity (The car I drove for the last few years didn't have one) but it is a nice thing to have. That being said, I'd never like pass on a good LGT because it didn't have a sunroof lol.

The LGT seats I sat in definitely seemed bolstered a bit differently. The seats weren't as soft as mine (I think?) but they still held be pretty well on turns so they might have a sportier shape to them but just not as comfortable of a fabric. Either way, the one reason I wouldn't mind different seats is because then I could get seat covers. I desperately want covers for my car now, but I love seeing the seats so I don't get them haha.

Not true the HVAC/Audio is the same as LGT limited......

Yeah I figured that they all had the same HVAC and stuff. I test drove an unlimited (or what I thought was an unlimited.....no sunroof, cloth seats, etc.) and it had the dual zone HVAC and stuff).

I checked with State Farm. I put in the information for my car (2006 2.5i SE) and it came out to like $161 per month. I put in a 2005 Legacy GT, and it came out to $159 a month. Go figure haha. But that's good to know since I'm on a State Farm plan now so I guess it wouldn't affect insurance at all really it seems.

Archived