LegacyGT.com

Who's running BC BR coilovers?

captainhook

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I have had them for about 8k now. I like them although there my first set of coilovers so I dont have any real comparison to go buy. I dont race or anything so looking back it might have been overkill. However being able to adjust the ride height is really nice.

I just installed a set of these coilovers on my wagon about a week ago. I really like them so far, handling is firmer and bodyroll is almost non-existant now (also have F/R Perrin 22mm sways). Stock ride height was a must for me, our cars don't have much suspension travel so I wanted a good ride vs being on the bump stops all the time as with lowering springs.

The damping adjustment is really nice, I'm still playing with mine before I drive to work each day. They ride pretty nice, some types of pavement transitions and bumps can be felt/heard more than the stock struts/springs, but then again others are almost unnoticeable now that I've swapped. There's several sets of railroad tracks near where I work, driving across them each day at 35-45 mph really resulted in some jarring with the stock suspension. With the BC's, I was pleasantly surprised that they handle this particular ride issue much better. Some bumps result in more noise because the tophats are alum. instead of the stock rubber mounts. I have noticed that our cars don't have virtually any sound dampening material over the rear shocks/ wheel wells so I plan to add some sound dampening material (secondskin) to those areas to help (stock suspension & tires created noise from this area as well).

There are tradeoffs vs stock, but so far what little I gave up is completely worth the improvements & ride height / damping adjustments. I was concerned when I purchased them if they would work well for me since I wanted a firmer ride for spirited street cornering but not racetrack oriented.

I would totally get these again, no questions or doubts. For me, they are the ideal balance of performance, adjustability, price, and ride quality that I was looking for.

Check the groupbuy threads below for some feedback on them, there's also a review thread on nasioc where a lot of wrx/sti guys really like them. I got mine from Josh at ImportImageRacing.com and he gave me a really good deal on them with the rear adjustment extenders (highly recommend these also).

GB thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1244170#post1244170

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61787&page=46

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1085379&page=44

I HEARD that BC/Megan/K-Sport are all made at the same factory. Don't know the truth behind it or any of the product experiences on this coilover.

I have read the same thing. The latest BC BR series has apparently been updated some to improve them vs the original Megan's etc. Just what I have read here & on other subie forums.

I HEARD that BC/Megan/K-Sport are all made at the same factory. Don't know the truth behind it or any of the product experiences on this coilover.

They are made in the same factory but they are not the same products. The BC racing stuff is the higher end products that come out of that factory. Actually, I think the factory that makes them and BCracing is the same company.

I actually emailed BC with a similar question and told them I would be using them primarily for street duty. They simply emailed me back and said they do not recommend them for street use, lol. Not very specific, but I guess all I needed to know.

Bump for more replies. I either want these or the Stances. Someone explain to me why its 6k in the front, 8k in the back and not the other way around like with most other cars. Isnt the front heavier thus needs to be stiffer? Also the Stances are 6k/6k and I saw RaceComp mention that their Tarmac T1's come with 7k/7k and they dont recommend any lower rate because of the limited amount of travel our cars have.

Bump for more replies. I either want these or the Stances. Someone explain to me why its 6k in the front, 8k in the back and not the other way around like with most other cars. Isnt the front heavier thus needs to be stiffer? Also the Stances are 6k/6k and I saw RaceComp mention that their Tarmac T1's come with 7k/7k and they dont recommend any lower rate because of the limited amount of travel our cars have.

Good question! Bump for an educated answer to this!

He told me the inverted ones are much stiffer and handle better but you have to adjust the dampining from underneth. I have the bc and they are great. Also I had a megan set on my sti and they were horriable I had nothing but problems. But then again I had them installed after an accident so maybe im just blaming them

I do not have an educated answer for it...but i believe it has to do with weight transfer under acceleration. The stiffer rear springs will help reduce the squatting that occurs under hard acceleration.

That seems like a pretty reasonable explanation. My car squats like a mofo under acceleration. I can actually feel the suspension load up before it leaps forward, lol. It would be spectacular if these things would rid me of that feeling.

After talking to a bunch of people at a subaru meet last night about the BC's I think I'm sold. All three guys loved them, one even had 30K on them with no problems. That's what I was looking for. :D

Define "need". What are you looking to achieve with your upgrades?

Yeah, I don't know about that, I know others that put the coilovers on and it was enough. I'm hoping the coilovers alone solve my body-roll issues. We'll find out, mine go on 3/29. :)

Suspension geometry. Legacy and 08+ impreza rear struts/springs mount farther inboard than the old all mcpherson cars, so the wheel has more leverage on the spring. Therefore, to produce the same spring rate at the wheel it has to be a stiffer spring.

I'd say there's more rear rate on the stances because it will probably make the car handle better. Also a suspension with less travel generally needs more spring rate to keep off the bumpstops.

• 3 years later...

Archived