LegacyGT.com

Broken trunk handle

NickTej22

So I broke my trunk handle off, the whole area where the late lights are is rotted so I'm probably going to replace the whole trunk. I can get one cheap, but how much of a whore will it be to replace where my trunk is closed and can't open it?

Sent from my Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

You can replace that plate and the handle underneath. It's a common place that rusts away, and is a real simple fix. As easy as it is, I think I drove around forever before finally replacing it.

Then the easiest thing to do in that case is to swap on a replacement hatch. It's pretty easy to do. I swapped mine on, had to take it off and put the old one on because it didn't close since the frame was bent. I pulled the frame and then swapped it back on.

I took a bunch of pics if/when you need them. The main thing to look out for is removing the defroster clips. One side pulls right off, but the other is for some reason really hard to get off. I broke one of them, but there is defroster clip glue that conducts electricity. You have to remove all the trim, unplug all the harness and stuff.

The harness clip that goes to the hatch clasp sensor that lights up the door ajar light on the dash will not unclip, so you have to cut the wires and swap out the clasps. I tried hooking up the new clasp wires but the ajar light still came on so I just cut them permanently. And there is another harness clip that you can't get to unless you remove some of the bolts that hold the handle mechanism in place.

Archived