LegacyGT.com

Overheating after timing belt job

back in march (12,000 mile ago) I had my TB maintenance done using all GATES parts (WP, Thermo, belts, gaskets, pulleys) about 4 months ago while driving to work (75 degree morning) i notived that my temp gauge was runnign slightly warmer than before. I got the office and it was up several ticks past the pre-TB job level (i call it level but pretty much half way between C and H in the hot) also both fans were on and it was dripping coolant from where the lower Rad hose connects to the WP.

I was going on a business trip so the car sat for 5 days whiel gone. Once i got back i took the cap off and noticed that the coolant was way down and the overflow tanks was empty. I assumed the shop didnt fill it back up all the way and the summer temps caused it to heat. I added 3/4 gal. of purified water (there was no parts store nearby) to the existing coolant and it ran fine until this morning when i noticed it heating to the same temp level. I pulled into the garage at the office and there was coolant dripping out from under my car again.

The lower rad hose is HOT the top rad hose is cooler much cooler than I would think it to be after a 26.5 mile drive. There are no obvious leaks, no odd smelling or colored smoke out the tail pipes indicating a HG leak either. This time the overflow tank is still full (from the previous fill up I filled the radiator to the top and put the rest in the overflow as insurance)

I am going to replace the Thermo first to see if that helps. Where should I burp the system after the install?

Any suggestion are greatly appreciated :)

Installed new thermostat this morning not too difficult a task:

First you take your radiator cap off, then loosen the lower radiator hose clamp, then remove the two 10mm bolts holding the housing on (you dont need to loosen the housing hose clamp in order to get it off)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/therm1_zps5d2691b1.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/GEE-OTTO/therm3_zps2f088f9d.jpg

Have a pan ready to catch the coolant! Allow it all to drain then replace your defective thermo with the new one.

therm3.thumb.jpg.3215d4e2a4a9dce183a9a3c726b229ec.jpg

Ok good, want you to be safe than sorry. ;)

Yeah I saw a guy over on rs25.com that was using one for a clutch change and it tipover or something and pushed the blunt end of a set of pliers through his hand :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

After that i only use it for things that dont require going under the car (tire change, brakes, inpecting things). I typically use two 5 ton stands with pins!! and a fluid jack to lift.

• 1 month later...

You need to make sure you burp the cooling system and let it run till the fans cycle and make sure there is no more sir in the system.

You may need to burp the system a few times. Carry some coolant with you for the first week use in case you need to top it off.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You need to make sure you burp the cooling system and let it run till the fans cycle and make sure there is no more sir in the system.

You may need to burp the system a few times. Carry some coolant with you for the first week use in case you need to top it off.

Yep burped it in the lot for about 20 mins, left with a full system and drove 5 miles, was down by half :lol: I had a gallon of premix in the trunk added it and havent had a problem since. Ive been in stop-n-go and never budged on the temp.

I just chalk it up to that one dud thermo Gates made out of the 1000's that work reliably everyday.

Archived