LegacyGT.com

LGT sized tires on an OBXT, and diff questions

BarManBean

• Moderators

Will be in an OBXT very shortly. I have a set of wheels / tires that were on my LGT (225/45-17s) and I know they are quite a bit smaller than stock OBXT tires in terms of the outside rolling diameter (Outbacks have a different rear differential from my understanding, thus resulting in the use of larger tires).

Given that the tires I have are in great shape (Bridgestone RE970AS's), is there any reason that I shouldn't just run them as is? My other option is to sell the tires. Yet another option that I know nothing about (someone educate me) is to change the rear differential on the outback to an LGT unit. Unsure if there is any real benefit / disadvantage to this, and I'd imagine this might not be possible without matching up with the diff up front as well...?

Thanks for any input.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Speedo will be off, and revs will be high on the highway, but otherwise you'll be fine. ABS and TCS will be minimally affected (the wheels will be spinning faster than the car thinks they are).

You could, if you wanted to, swap the front ring gear and pinion shaft, and the rear R&P, with those from an LGT. The rear you might be able to do yourself, but the front requires full disassembly of the gearbox.

Then you'd have the correct final drive for the tires, but the speedo would still be off (speedo is coded from the ABS sensors, and they are calibrated for the larger tire).

I've contemplated the switch to LGT sized tires before, but ultimately decided to design my suspension around the OB tires and save myself some of the effort and cost associated with a full LGT conversion.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Moderators

Thanks BAC, was hoping you would chime in. That's about what I figured about the drive-ratio swap, and I agree, not worth it. Cracking the gearbox is way more than I would want to get into.

If the tires were summer rubber, I'd consider keeping them for autocrossing to benefit from the increased acceleration, but given that they are all-seasons it sounds like I'll probably try to sell them. Don't really want to be running hot on the highway and putting more miles on the odometer than I'm actually driving.

• Moderators
Funny - I was just looking at your tires for sale post thinking the same thing. I'm in an OBXT and need some new tires. Waste of time putting on snow tires this year, too. GLWS.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with running those tires on an OBXT, just not ideal. Revs will be a bit high on the highway and speedo will be off.

Archived