LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 failed smog @ idle...would tune help?

Hey Guys.

So I just went for a smog check and I failed emissions @ idle with HC being 125 (100 max allowed) and CO being 1.04 (1.00 max allowed). I drove it nice and hard prior to the test too. :mad:

Anyways mods are:

up pipe

Cobb Hi flow catted DP

AP Stage 2 OTS tune

I also did my 6 year service beforehand thinking it would help :rolleyes:

would getting a protune help lean things out at idle as well as add a big smile to my face driving the car afterward? :lol:

or any other suggestions? I know other Stage 2 cars have passed smog before, I'm wondering what makes my car special :rolleyes:

How many "CATS" you have now. 05-06 as 3, UP, DP & Mid. pipe. If you down to 1. You could always put OEM catted UP pipe back on to help pass SMOG.

Mike

It's been a while since I've done the mods and my memory isn't what it used to be...:lol: But I believe I got the MR catless up pipe and Cobb Hi-Flow cat downpipe.

I'd like to avoid paying more out of pocket to install/re-install my uppipes as I don't really have a place to work on my car. I'd rather pay for a tune if that will fix the problem as I'm getting a pro-tune out of it :cool:

What hammer down said !

But also protune might help also.

Can you retard timing with the AP? I have seen that help / ultimately pass smog on certain cars.

The reason I'm asking about a protune is that during the course of my research some people were saying that the emissions test is done during closed loop which is why the rom doesn't matter. :confused:

Was wondering as to the validity of that statement

That uppipe cat won't do anything unless his car is on a cold start which will read really high to begin with. Just swap your DP to stock, drive it without hitting boost, heat those cats up before you go in too. I passed with my conservative tune AFRs high 8 low 9's at WOT

Move from that shitty state who cares about the environment when its to late. lol JK glad I don't have to go through that shit.

You would if you were in Anchorage! Although our cars are still "New cars" so we can do as we please! And they only do a computer check so we could never do "force pass readiness monitors" because that would be totally immoral... right?;)

The reason I'm asking about a protune is that during the course of my research some people were saying that the emissions test is done during closed loop which is why the rom doesn't matter. :confused:

Was wondering as to the validity of that statement

well its closed loop fuel but not timming, timming can play a role, also you o2 sensor(s) may be getting a bit bad.

see the link, it explains what retarding timming can do and advanceing and slightly leaning and richening mixture.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Tuning_Manual.htm#emissions

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

You would if you were in Anchorage! Although our cars are still "New cars" so we can do as we please! And they only do a computer check so we could never do "force pass readiness monitors" because that would be totally immoral... right?;)

I'm out of here in 9 months. So i care less lol. Its anything thats 10 years and older anyways.

Archived