LegacyGT.com

Odd vibrating/shaking noise?

Hey guys,

So just recently in the past 4 days every time I start up my car I get an odd noise as if something underneath or maybe even around the wheel area is shaking or vibrating against something. Once the car sits at idle for about 20 seconds the noise goes away but comes back again once I start accelerating. Once I get up to about 35 mph it goes away entirely and doesn't make any other noises beyond that. The only work I have done before it started happening it switching my two front wheel positions when I painted them (I switched them back to no avail)

I have a 2009 2.5i SE with only 42k miles (and only 6k since I bought it certified pre-owned from subaru) so I have a hard time believing it's something serious.

No CEL's or anything out of the ordinary, just a very odd vibrating noise that's really annoying!

thanks for any help!

Thanks for pointing that thread. I also have similar issue. I brought the car to reputable muffler shop in my area and they actually did not find loose heat shields. The annoying thing is that, the noise isn't constant. I have to rev the car to get it to rattle. Therefore, it's not easy to pinpoint the rattle.

However, as the picture in that thread shows, it could be the metal "ring" inside the heat shield. This is definitely worth taking a look.

If that's not the case, it could be something above the front under cover.

yeah I'm having a hard time pinpointing where the rattling is coming from with the naked eye, hopefully get it up on the lift to take a look soon. After driving some more the noise is getting what seems to be more inconsistent, which makes me think it really is a heatshield rattle or some sort of rattle.

might take it to the dealership to take a look if I can't figure it out

Without opening the front under cover completely, I checked the heat shields coming off of exhaust manifold. I did this by opening the cover for the oil filter and use mirror to look up. I tapped the shields with screw driver and it was not rattling. The problem must be something else...

Archived