LegacyGT.com

Finding cars

discojon

I've been searching for a BSM 5mt legacy gt limited wagon for a while now and although I have located 2 at dealers and had cash down to buy, both have failed compression tests and the dealer was unwilling to lower the price. One is a private seller that wants 14k. I have been searching here, autotrader, cars.com, eBay, craigslist, carsdirect, and carmax. That may be all. Are there any other sources to look on that I'm missing? I'd prefer a private owner but really as long as the car is in good shape and passes compression I'll be happy.

5mt limited wagons are rare, and people know it. Some have spent months looking for a car. Others expand their search criteria, maybe you should, too?

production numbers:

190.....BSM.....2005 Legacy GT wagon MT Ltd (blk) - usa only

24......BSM.....2005 Legacy GT wagon MT Ltd (blk) - canada only

214 cars in total. Some have been totaled, so the total is less than that. You'll have better luck finding a non-red Ferrari than that exact car. :-)

Pretty much any car for sale under 12k is going to need work. If the service history shows more a turbo or engine replacement, that is more of a concern than the compression test being low. If replacements were made once before, it's likely they were done improperly and you'll have to do them again.

Yeah I check here to. I'm aware of the rarity of them, I just find it a shame that the two I found both had motor issues. I was willing to buy either of them if the dealer had accepted a reasonable offer. I'm fine with pulling and rebuilding the motor. I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Just be patient. All of the cars I've really wanted I had to look for quite a while and travel some distances.

Here they are just for shits and giggles.

My 94 civic Si bought in 99. Took 9 months to find. Got lucky a dealer up the street had one come in on trade.

My 01 Pathfinder 2wd LE bought in 05. Bought it for air suspension install. Which I did. Took 6 months and drove to NYC to get it.

Current 10 Legacy took around 4 months and drove to western Connecticut just about to NYC again.

I have been searching here, autotrader, cars.com, eBay, craigslist, carsdirect, and carmax. That may be all. Are there any other sources to look on that I'm missing? I'd prefer a private owner but really as long as the car is in good shape and passes compression I'll be happy.

Cargurus.com is another source we've used......

I am reluctantly considering offers on my vehicle, its the exact spec you are looking at.

She failed a compression test in the summer (at Motive) and is in storage in Maine right now - my plan was/is to drop a shortblock in during the spring when I get time/money.

If you are interested, shoot my your email by pm.

156k on clock

Refurb VF40 @ bnr 10k ago.

All 4 wheel bearings 10k ago.

New OEM gearbox @ 100k.

My main issue is that I am in Colorado for the winter, so would need to coordinate with my summer boss about viewing.

Matt

Actually I just purchased an 06 limited gt last Friday. Unfortunately it is an automatic but the price and condition was amazing. $5600 , interior is immaculate, exterior is like 98% perfect. I pulled the motor Saturday and it's at the machine shop now. I'm still looking for a 5mt bsm ltd wagon to swap my motor and other new bits if the price is right. With this car I'll have under 10 k in it and that's all new suspension (all whiteline, tein h techs, bolstering), New motor, full exhaust.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Archived