LegacyGT.com

Tune needed?

Car: 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited Manual

Current Modifications: SPT Cat-back Exhaust System & SPT High Flow Air Intake w/ Heat Shield

Mileage: 115,000 Running Stock Tune

Question: OEM Catted downpipe needs to be replaced soon! I want to enter the world of high flow and at some point upgrade with a COBB Access Port.

The new catted downpipe is as follows: COBB Tuning Downpipe Catted Bellmouth

Sourced through: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/COBB-527202-Tuning-Downpipe-Catted-Bellmouth

Do I need to tune the vehicle because of the new downpipe?

If you're getting an access port, you will have the tune for the down pipe. It is always better to get a pro-tune for your car, but the stage 2 map will do for the time being. DO NOT put on a aftermarket down pipe without a tune.

Why do you say your down pipe needs to be replaced?

Also, while you're under the hood, get a stock intake and put it back on. The SPT is garbage and messes up AFR without a tune.

Replace your uppipe while your at it. 05's have a cat that can be problematic. Any 2004+ sti or catless pipe should be sufficient. If replacing the uppipe research the 2.2k ohm resistor mod to eliminate the cel for the egt probe.

The Cobb AP will delete the egt code for stage 2, if I recall.

Yes, you should have the car tuned.

If your good with a lap top you can buy the cable and get a tune from a Tuner and up load it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When I bought the car this SPT Air Intake was already installed. As for why I am replacing the downpipe, is because it is a catted downpipe and the cat is failing. I wanted to go high flow, I'm trying to make my way up the modifications list.

Also I want the COBB Access Port, because I am not 100% certain this car is running factory ECU tune. Previous owner seems to have taken care of the car. And would like to keep the SPT Intake. This car is a great platform for gear heads! Why not tune it.

But I am curious, on third gear pull, upon shifting I almost immediately smell rich exhaust. Checked gaskets, everything seems visually okay. Could this be caused by this SPT Intake/ AFR?

Like Gex said, replace the up pipe. Our cars come with a catted up pipe that can break apart and get sucked into the turbo, causing it to fail. Either do both at the same time (much easier and cheaper), or do the up pipe first.

Okay so its decided:

COBB Uppipe w/ 2.2k ohm resistor mod & COBB Catted Downpipe

COBB Access Port Tune

Called local Tuning shop, they said with these mods it wouldn't be worth having a them tune it. I would get more for my money by getting the COBB Access Port, giving me the ability to read codes, multiple maps, all the goodies included out of the box.

Hello there,

The main thing to keep in mind is the only cobb maps for your year are supported by the cobb sf intake and no others. This will cause a mis calculation of the amount of air entering the engine and cause the fueling to be incorrect. There are a lot of threads about it on here as well.

Hope this helps.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Okay so its decided:

COBB Uppipe w/ 2.2k ohm resistor mod & COBB Catted Downpipe

COBB Access Port Tune

Called local Tuning shop, they said with these mods it wouldn't be worth having a them tune it. I would get more for my money by getting the COBB Access Port, giving me the ability to read codes, multiple maps, all the goodies included out of the box.

Do more research on the tactrix route too. $75 cable + $100 craigslist laptop + $150 tune is still cheaper than an AP. However if you think the convenience is worth it to have an all in one device I can see that.

EDIT: and Cryo does an awesome tune with great service if you decide to go tactrix.

Tactrix Openport 2.0 is also an option. But I still feel that the COBB AP will be the route I take, but this could also have a tailor made map provided by Cyro Tune Performance. I was reading on their website about a custom Etune designed for stage 1 & 2 for the COBB AP.

But thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread, it has provided me with some very valuable information keep it coming!!!

Side note: Updated my Avatar :)

Archived