LegacyGT.com

talked to flowmaster technician

Hi everyone I talked to a flowmaster tech. yesterday and I was asking about a high flow cat. What he said surprised me, he said our factory cats are high flow. And if their not bad ,pie throwing a cel code, its a waste of money to replace them. I don't want my subie sounding like a (fast and fury ricer), so he recommended a flowmaster 12414310 muffler for a nice deep subie rumble. He said Id see 10-40% increase in flow with this muffler over oem. He also said to start off by leaving the rear resonator on , then if i want it louder, I could take it out later and not affect my engine management system. Or set CELls.

Any thoughts on this?

As someone who has a Magnaflow that the last owner put on that has a deep note, i wouldn't suggest it. The droning is actually pretty annoying , especially from the back seat.

Your talking about the M.F. cat ,rite?

No the muffler. Also, without unequal length headers you won't actually get the "boxer rumble". You get a slight rumble, but not like a wrx.

thanks for that reply , is there a particular header muffler combo you like?

What about the ones on e-bay for $209 ? Btw I always thought the point to headers was to have equal lengths.

It is. The "boxer rumble" people are obsessed with, is the sound of inefficiency.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Porsche has that rumble too and they run pretty well.

Porsches sound nothing like unequal-header Subarus. Don't be delusional.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm actually looking for exhaust information for the EG33 I'm dropping in to my sedan.

I'm interested in mufflers and such, I want a straight through baffle but they're supposedly going to be stupid loud.

And I've been told the EG33 is the loudest engine subaru has ever designed due to the VE% of the engine >98% at WOT. I want to hear it scream when I punch it but don't want to drone. Suggestions?

I'm actually looking for exhaust information for the EG33 I'm dropping in to my sedan.

I'm interested in mufflers and such, I want a straight through baffle but they're supposedly going to be stupid loud.

And I've been told the EG33 is the loudest engine subaru has ever designed due to the VE% of the engine >98% at WOT. I want to hear it scream when I punch it but don't want to drone. Suggestions?

See i'm just the opposite I want it to be efficient run well and still be able to here my stereo lol

See i'm just the opposite I want it to be efficient run well and still be able to here my stereo lol

No same, I want to enjoy the ride without ear plugs in :lol:. But when I do slam it to the floor I wanna hear it growl.

I'm thinking of getting a straight baffle muffler with a U-pipe, supposedly they still sound aggressive but aren't really loud under normal load.:confused:

No same, I want to enjoy the ride without ear plugs in :lol:. But when I do slam it to the floor I wanna hear it growl.

I'm thinking of getting a straight baffle muffler with a U-pipe, supposedly they still sound aggressive but aren't really loud under normal load.:confused:

have you ever seen any pics or a diagram of that setup? Id like to see what it looks like. with brand names and part #'s would be nice. or does that have to be a custom build ?

You can find them on jegs, summitracing and ebay. I'm thinking of going with an ebay U-pipe muffler. I bought a Delkavic muffler for my bike from ebay and it sounds great so I'll risk buying there again.

Picture coming.

*edit*

The return pipe supposedly cuts down on the rasp and eliminates drone... until you open it up.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/HIGH-FLOW-TWIN-LOOP-SPORT-RACING-DESIGN-MUFFLER-EXHAUST-3-5-OUTLET-KIT-/00/s/NzgwWDc4MA==/$%28KGrHqFHJ%21sE9ur6ZlnLBPc1hBo90Q~~60_58.JPG

If you want the ebay link I'll post it.

You can find them on jegs, summitracing and ebay. I'm thinking of going with an ebay U-pipe muffler. I bought a Delkavic muffler for my bike from ebay and it sounds great so I'll risk buying there again.

Picture coming.

*edit*

The return pipe supposedly cuts down on the rasp and eliminates drone... until you open it up.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/HIGH-FLOW-TWIN-LOOP-SPORT-RACING-DESIGN-MUFFLER-EXHAUST-3-5-OUTLET-KIT-/00/s/NzgwWDc4MA==/$%28KGrHqFHJ%21sE9ur6ZlnLBPc1hBo90Q~~60_58.JPG

If you want the ebay link I'll post it.

that thing is wild looking! yeah a link would be great thanks!

do they recommend uel headers with it

honestly, you probably couldn't measure the difference in efficiency between equal length and unequal. if you were building an all out race car like the WRC cars, you might look at equal length to squeeze that last bit of power out of it (listen for the difference in sound between the 90's era impreza WRC's and the newer ones, they switched about 1999-2000 IIRC), but for everyday, UEL is fine.

UEL WRC

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4RMapc74lk]WRC Subaru Impreza STI 555 - with pure sounds - YouTube[/ame]

EL WRC

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMP3PsKmcyU&feature=related]Subaru WRC Test - YouTube[/ame]

still a slight boxer sound, but not like the earlier cars.

that thing is wild looking! yeah a link would be great thanks!

do they recommend uel headers with it

Universal design, if your exhaust fits hook it up.

2.5inlet 3.0 outlet. I think it's straight baffle but it may be a chambered design.

Ebay high flow U-pipe muffler

Link

It would appear as tho that listing has ended.

^Good luck trying to fit that muffler on a legacy. There is not much room for a muffler any bigger than the stock one.

It's the same length, it's just canister design. And it'll be going under the kick panels not under the rear.

Keep in mind I'm a BH or BE chassis, not the newer legacy's. "01" sedan.

Archived