LegacyGT.com

Burning smell after Tranny fluid change

autotech

I just changed the tranny fluid (manual) with the 75-90 oil for the first time and everytime i come to a stop at a light, i have this smell like the tranny fluid is burning like it spilled on the exhaust. and its burning off. I check and no leaks and i cleaned everything off and still 24 hours later it still smells at stops. When i check the level i was at the line, but it looked like the fluid was bubbled (like little bubbles at the bottom). IDK, im at a loss for words and hope its nothing serious. Im debating going to the dealer to get the reg tranny fluid and switchin it back. Any Ideas?

I just changed the tranny fluid (manual) with the 75-90 oil for the first time and everytime i come to a stop at a light, i have this smell like the tranny fluid is burning like it spilled on the exhaust. and its burning off. I check and no leaks and i cleaned everything off and still 24 hours later it still smells at stops. When i check the level i was at the line, but it looked like the fluid was bubbled (like little bubbles at the bottom). IDK, im at a loss for words and hope its nothing serious. Im debating going to the dealer to get the reg tranny fluid and switchin it back. Any Ideas?

If you so much as got a drop on the down pipe, up pipe, or exhaust you're going to smell this for some time regardless of any efforts to wipe it off :). I knew better than to spill it when I changed my front diff fluid, but I got a few drops on the DP, which I thought I cleaned well. That stink seemed like it would NEVER go away, lol.

FWIW, I have some coveralls I have had since my racing days in the '70's that STILL to this day smells like that fluid..... despite having been washed many times over these many years.

Seems like something with that kind of staying power should be used as a base for perfume, like whale puke is :lol:. In any case, if your fluid levels are fine, you are going to have to live with the smell until it eventually fades away.

ok, i just dont wanna think theres a problem or something like that...because its embarrassing when someone is in the car and it just smells like crap. I spill quite a bit too, and we have stuff at our shop thats supposed to help clean that stuff up, i guess it didn't work. thanks for the response

If you so much as got a drop on the down pipe, up pipe, or exhaust you're going to smell this for some time regardless of any efforts to wipe it off :). I knew better than to spill it when I changed my front diff fluid, but I got a few drops on the DP, which I thought I cleaned well. That stink seemed like it would NEVER go away, lol.

Seems like something with that kind of staying power should be used as a base for perfume, like whale puke is :lol:. In any case, if your fluid levels are fine, you are going to have to live with the smell until it eventually fades away.

+100 I got a little gear oil on the DP as well and it stinks big time when the exhaust warms up after a mile or so. I even tried to clean the DP again with metal contact cleaner and it still didn't get rid of the stink. DP looks completely shiny & clean, but that gear oil is still there somehow.

well after a heavy rain here the last couple days its dissipated a little bit. If im at the light long enough, i can still smell something. But not nearly as bad as it was before. I just thought originally i did something wrong and was either A burning the tranny or B had a leak. But as a technician i had hoped that i didnt make THAT kind of mistake...lol

Archived