LegacyGT.com

Steering Vibration..3 of 4 rimes bent!!!

stickshift4life

Well, i was experiencing some steering wheel vibration at highways speeds so i took it my leggy in for an alignment and the issue still wasnt solved so i assumed a had a bent wheel and took it into the shop.

Turns out 3 of the 4 rims are bent so bad they couldnt even balance them out! There are potholes where i live but nothing crazy. None of the previous cars ive owned have had this problem and am trying to diagnose the problem to avoid future issues. (i just bought a brand new set of summer rims)

Some background info. My current winter setup (the ones that are bent) are 225/45/17 so i figure thats plenty of sidewall. Im running swifts with stock bilstein struts so yes a stiff setup but is it really THAT stiff? Ive read thats not the best setup as the struts leave the springs under damped.

Anyway im just looking for some advice as to what i can change to lessen the stress on my wheels. The way i see it my sidewall is plenty big so that leaves the springs/struts setup.

Im hoping the solution isnt "avoid potholes" as this is my daily driver and the legacy is by no means a sports car.

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

David

geez i spelt rims wrong in the thread title damn thats embarrassing wish i could edit it out. haha.

Forgot to add... Possible solutions i am considering:

Replacing stock struts with konis

Replacing swift springs with something softer... (likely eibach or ralliart)

Going from a 40 to a 45 sidewall on my summer setup

Other than that im really out of ideas, hence the post here. Thanks in advance for any help.

You always want to avoid potholes as much as you (safely) can, but other than that, more sidewall and softer suspension will definitely help. Did you bend the stock wheels, or aftermarket ones? I hit a really nasty pothole/debris in the road that was enough to gouge my wheel and blow out the sidewall of the rear tire. Didn't bend the stock wheel though, and new tire installed just fine.

If you are using aftermarket wheels, you could try to find one that is a bit stiffer.

Archived