LegacyGT.com

Cheapest way to raise a lowered legacy?

LegacyCamper

Our legacy was lowered, coil over struts. It bottoms out on the tow bar so Im not wanting to run it on the beach this low.

What would be the cheapest way to get it raised either back to a normal height or a small lift?

Currently it looks parralel to the ground, as in the back wheel is about the same height as the fender.

The previous owner did it for handling as they never used it off the road, but we want to go up and down the local beach and are sick of the low tow bar bottoming out on difficult angle drives.

Depending on location you could find someone who would swap for stock

Yeah, I would say go for this depending on the condition of your current coilovers this will be the most quick, cheap and straightfoward solution. You'll probably have to find out what you have first.

Doing spacers will be doubly detrimental since you'll still have that reduced suspension travel according to the shock body AND have a coiloveresque ride quality. Not to mention, in order to put the spacers in, you pretty much have to do a complete uninstall (which isn't too hard). If you find someone to swap with you (or even pick up some for cheap online) you'll save yourself gobs of money just DIY'n it.

Good luck! :) If you want, I have some stock springs I can sell you, but they won't work unless you have the stock struts too. :/

• 2 weeks later...
thanks guys good advice. cheers micha but we are on the other side of the planet :-).

how do i identify what i currently have, im not an expert clearly but i was told they were coil over struts. they use to be the air suspension sort.

If those are coilovers wouldn't the height be adjustable? Depending on what kind they are...

What year is your Legacy and where are you located?

Judging by his other posts he has a '98 250GT Jap import and is located in Aus/NZ. I'm guessing NZ with the Jap import.

If those are coilovers wouldn't the height be adjustable? Depending on what kind they are...

Yup, they should be height adjustable so you might not need to change anything. Post a picture of them here, someone might recognize what they are.

Junkyard strut assemblies are going to be cheapest at like 20 a corner.. Go with legacy if you want stock height or outback if you want an inch higher. If any of the struts are blown buy replacement KYBs or if you really want to go cheap sensen from ebay or rock auto.

Archived