LegacyGT.com

CEL after new alternator

Hi all,

I have been lurking around on the forums for a while, but this is my first post. I have a 2005 Legacy 2.5i that I love, but unfortunately it has started giving me a few problems. I got the 60,000 mile maintenance done on it a few weeks ago and then went on vacation and let it sit for a week. When I got back, the car was acting very strange (dash lights coming on, etc.) and it turned out that the alternator and the battery had died. I was going to have Subaru replace them, but getting suckered for $600 was ridiculous. I ordered a replacement from Napa for $170 plus a new battery and a knowledgeable friend and I installed both. Now the car is running just fine, but about 2 days later the CEL came on. It posted these codes:

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

C0109 - Power Voltage Malfunction

C0111 - Motor/motor relay on Failure

I figured that the system needed to be flushed, so I put fuel system cleaner and premium fuel in the car, and reset the light. Now, 180 miles later, the light just came on again and posted the same codes. If anyone has any ideas on what I could do now, or what it might be, please let me know. I'm coming up at a loss.

The major problem with this whole scenario is that the car is due for inspection this month, plus I am getting ready to sell it (I love it, but I need more cargo room).

Thanks,

Corey

Double-check that the alternator was correctly connected and that it works as it should.

And it may well be that the old alternator wasn't the problem, but just the battery.

It's also possible that the new battery is bad.

Check the voltage on the car with engine off and engine running and come back.

453747.png

Has anyone else EVER heard of a Subaru alternator dying at 60k? This sounds weird...

How did you know both the alternator and the battery were bad? It's like saying both the hard drive and the mother board of a computer are bad, when it's usually just one though either could be blamed.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Double-check that the alternator was correctly connected and that it works as it should.

And it may well be that the old alternator wasn't the problem, but just the battery.

It's also possible that the new battery is bad.

Check the voltage on the car with engine off and engine running and come back.

I had this same question when my lexus wouldn't start. Drove into the local chain tire place, and they hooked up their little meter to test the alternator output voltage first, and then they tested the battery second. Took 30 seconds, plus 60 seconds for a handshake. Saved an unnecessary purchase. And it was the battery, as alternators just don't die like batteries.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived