LegacyGT.com

New subie owner

Just like the title reads lol I have a 09 Legacy SE I just bought from a private seller and I have a few issues maybe you guys can answer. I have tried doing research and nothing.

1. I have this weird issue where the AWD light starts flashing maybe after 5 miles in of driving.... I checked the tire pressure it seems fine. Even checked the AWD bypass fuse and the slot is empty. I have 18 in rims I believe they are the SPEC B rims 225/45/18 would that have anything to do with it..

2. Will this damage my AWD system.

Thanks for your time.

Check your tread depth on all four tires. If you can't do it yourself, take it to a shop. The previous owner probably blew a tire and just replaced one.

Also make sure that all of the tires match in brand and size too.

You need to get this figured out ASAP. I wouldn't be driving the car with this happening. A new differential isn't cheap.

Just to elaborate on what Akasa is saying, all four tires must be within 2/32" of each other. You might be able to get away with 3/32", but I wouldn't want anything higher than that.

I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find any codes with it. All the tires are matching brand and size. If i recall the dealership took the size of all them kinda wanna say it said 1/16 but im not sure i need to check the paper again. It drives really smooth no hard shifting whats over. I also called another dealership where the car used to get serviced and the service tech said it was oka to drive it since I have no check engine light or any other sensors going off.

You might have already seen this, but it's from the owners manual if you haven't. I wouldn't drive the car, or try to drive as little as possible.

How long do you have to drive before that light comes on?

I got a flat once (well a very fast leak) and drove about 3-4 miles to the shop to get a new tire and it never came on.

How long do you have to drive before that light comes on?

I got a flat once (well a very fast leak) and drove about 3-4 miles to the shop to get a new tire and it never came on.

I have no idea, it sounds like that light is only on AT cars, so I have no experience with it.

So how do you measure the tire circumference founds some links but kinda stumped.

As far as measuring tread depth, I have a couple tread depth gauges like the one in the link below. Most auto parts stores, and maybe even somewhere like walmart should carry tread depth gauges.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S448-Tread-Depth-Gauge/dp/B0002STSQM]Amazon.com: Milton S448 Tire Tread Depth Gauge: Automotive[/ame]

I just don't want to see you harm your differentials or anything, because that would be big $$

@ apexi- I'll buy one tomorrow and see where they stand. And thanks ya I don't want to dump to much cash on it. So it shouldn't matter that my factory spec tires say 205/50/r17

and I'm rocking 225/45/r18

Neither I live in Cali. And how long did you have the FWD feature on...

No I wasn't the light never turned on when I test drove it. It didn't turn on til I was merging in on the freeway on my way home.

I just wanted to elaborate on my thoughts a little. I just got done posting the link below in the 5th gen forum, and I think it also is worth mentioning here.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/30110-tire-circumference-spec-confirmed-subaru-techtips.

So as mentioned in the link above, it sounds like the light is going on because the tires might have a very slight difference in total circumference, which the car sees as slipping, and is illuminating the AWD light.

I don't think your 225/40/18 tires are the problem. I think that all the car cares about is that all four tires are the same size. To my surprise, the tire size you're running right now is pretty darn close to my stock size of 205/50/17, as shown in the attached image.

I'm not sure if switching the car to FWD will do any harm or not. I'm don't want to feel responsible for anything that goes wrong with your car, so I'm reluctant to offer too much advice. But to me, measuring the tread depth, or circumference of each tire is where I would start.

tire.comparison.thumb.jpg.178b38f5f928974a7d8af106cb72f621.jpg

I checked the tire tread depth.. seemed fine I'll post it up. Also recently the rear smell like burned rubber. I checked the rear differntial no smell or leak.. thinking its the brakes.... maybe a piston stuck. My wife was driving it and was braking kinda hard at the time.

• 3 months later...

Archived